This Disappears When Logged In

Zs new cage is underway

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Jade, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

Finally got to go to home depot today, the only things i could find where green mesh and bamboo fencing im going to to local hardware place to see about mesh and i'll think of something for the bamboo.
    im building him the big jungle gym from lizardcages.com hopefully he'll be happy with it for a little while and than i'll upgrade him to the largeer once when he's bigger, i have to rearange the herproom alot but it'll look beter once its done, it'll give me a change to clean behind things and organize too.
    so far i have the pvc panel frames done

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

No more escaping for him.......we all hope! lol

3. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

yeah he was out of his cage this mornign for the first time in weeks i assume he tore a hole in the shower curtain a few days and he'll be locked up good,unless of course im their then he can walk around the room :)

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Cool

I cant wait too see it when you are done building! :D

5. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

Heres where i am so far, i need to make the spacer things to fill the gaps in the door and i can move on to the next step :D
    [​IMG]

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its coming right along Jade!
    One question in the lower area of the doorway there is what looks like it might be a smaller section that you could open without opening the entire door.
    If it isn't an opening you might consider making it one. This will serve 2 purposes. If you have to be gone and someone has to come to take care of the ig it will allow them to access the food and water without danger of Zair getting out.
    The second purpose is should Zair turn out to be one of those igs who have a problem with breeding season aggression it will allow you to safely service the cage.

7. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

whats the tally for the pvc total im curious cuz i want to do the same for my igs it would be easier to heat an enclosure than an entire room and cheaper

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Looks awesome Jade,,,,good job,

9. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Merlin wrote: "One question in the lower area of the doorway there is what looks like it might be a smaller section that you could open without opening the entire door.
    If it isn't an opening you might consider making it one."

I was thinking the exact same thing. It could also be used as a "freedom door," which would help retain heat in the enclosure.

10. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

ah, my post didnt get though i guess, my comp froze when i hit send
    Anyway, Yes that lower opening is another door, all the reasons stated i think its mostly going to be used here as a raoming door, while in the room i'll leave it open so he can come and go, and if he tames enough to free roam i'll leave the cage set up with that door open and he can use that as temp controled area while still haveing the freedom of the whole room to roam

The supplies totaled about $250 for me, and i didnt have to buy any tools i had all the tools listed already
    i am having so problems with it but im going to remeasure everything wehn i take it apart to move it and change things as needed so it will be ok.
    i'll keep updating my progress on it

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Looks great to me!
    You could've also ordered one from Mar and let HIM do all the measuring and junk! :p ;) lol

12. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

yeah, lol i thought it would be fun and easy to build, and well it was fun until is collapsed afew times but that problems fixed now the doors not sitting straight but the florr its on isnt even so im going to move it eslewhere before i trim anything becuase i removed several bars to remeasure them and they where fine so it thing the floor is messing up the door

13. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome Jade, cant wait to see the finished product.

14. Mr. T

Mr. T Established Member

wow im jelous... id love to build something like that but alas... i have no room:( maybe in the future though!

15. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Looks great

So far it looks awsome, I wish I could build something I would more than likely end up with my hand nailed down and sawing off one of my fingers

16. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

Progress Update

yay its being worked on! lol
    its hard to take pictures of it now that is im my herp room with the current ig cage in there as well i have no room to walk :p
    and guess what since i moved zairs cage out of the corner to put up his new one he hasnt escaped once! jeez you'd think he was doing it just so i'd be forced to get him a new cage...and it worked
    he still has orange under his arms,on the dewlap, and the corners of his mouth but has hasnt been acting strange at all he seems to be acting perfectly normal, he lets me pet him as long as i have food with me but gets nervous if i dont have food
    anyway the cgae pictures located here
    EF News Page

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its looking good Jade! I'm sure Zair will be very happy with his new digs!

Oh by the way I REALLY like that picture of the sun coming thru the trees!

18. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Great job, Jade! Isn't it fun to make stuff? (exhausting, but fun!) I love having construction projects!! I just wish we had a Home Depot or something similar here in Switzerland!

19. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

one step closer
    i put the shelves togethers but i didnt buy a larger enough bamboo curtain so i have to go back to lowes and get another one. but then i'll be able to finish, im going to have to start testing the lighting now so the temps and such will be good by the time i put him in. so close yet so far away
    owell heres picture of the one shelf i was able to get completed
    i choose the darker "fruitwood" color instead of the nartural i thought it looked nicer

Attached Files:

20. kevman

kevman Elite Member

Wow, really nice cage, I'll have to build one in a few years..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.