This Disappears When Logged In

Zophobas Morio Beetle Question

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CTScrivener, Dec 23, 2009.

1. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

I hope I spelled that right. Anyways! I have a question regarding the Morio Beetle. I have heard that after the beetles lay thier eggs in the soil, they die....is this true or will they stay alive for X amount of time?

I am asking this because I am starting to breed my superworms so I don't have to keep wasting money by buying them at stores.

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

The beetles will live for approximately 2-4 months......and most females will lay 100's of eggs in their lifetime...so while they don't live for a real long time, they also won't die after laying their first eggs....(there is a really good caresheet on this webiste for breeding superworms, but unfortunately, I don't know how to create a link...but hopefully someone else will come along and do so for you.)..I can certainly relate to your desire to start your own colony of feeders...it sure does help out with the cost...:)

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It is best to have at least a moderate level of moisture in the soil for the eggs.
    Putting in a carrot and having the lid 90 percent shut, works for me.
    Completely shut and mold will build up.

5. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

UPDATE:

Well, just found out two days ago that thus far 5 out the 10 worms I set aside have STARTED to change (is it sad that I'm 24 and I forgot that $*&@ word that means to change form?)

Can they be moved once they are in this form, or should I still let them stay alone, in dark, in their current containers until the process is COMPLETE?

And I was thinking of going and getting clean top soil, or potting soil (no fertilizers of course) to use as substrate for beetles/eggs.

Do they(beetles, not worms) need any kind of heat/uth....light....anything for egg laying?

My plan was to have around 10 beetles lay until I figure out the rate at which they multiply and the rate at which I use up the worms, and adjust from there to see how many beetles I need on a constant basis.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

PUPATE
    With some heat, they should be pupating faster.
    You don't need substrate. Just a base of bran, oatmeal and i throw in some skim milk powder.
    They lay their eggs in cracks and crevices.
    What works good for me is to use burlap bag pieces.
    A little provide heat will speed up the life process.

Sometimes they die off unexpectedly. So I would try for around 50 beetles in two different boxes.

7. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Haha im starting to breed mealworms and i started off with a thousand, and i only have 2 geckos! This is mainy as a project and novelty but.... mealworms anyone?!? lol

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I always have some beetles pupating, I keep about a dozen or so little glass jars in my herp room area, where it's warm,. and in each a worm. Once the worm pupates, they go to a separate cage, and a new worm is put in the jar, and once they pupate into beetles completely, I stick them in with the super worms, and they breed and lay eggs. Works out well for me. They produce enough to keep my CWD fed, and also give some to my fish and turtle, and mine don't stink either, and don't grow mold. They all live happily in a plastic lidded pail.