This Disappears When Logged In

Zophobas. Eeww!!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by hennisntacanibal, Dec 19, 2010.

1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Now that we all know how I feel about superworms (mealworms are worse though. I have a phobia of those nasty things), I set up a little cage for them today, instead of just keeping them in the containers they come in.

It's a square ziploc tupperware type thing, 5"x5"x5", with about seven holes poked in the top for air. I put in carrot shavings, kale, collard, and dandy greens, enough to cover the bottom of the container by about half an inch. There are now about 85-90 supers living in there.

Is this a good setup? I figured it was time to upgrade from the grain filled plastic things to something with fresh food that is good for the animals. (I'm feeding beardies, a leo, some turtles... about five animals altogether.) The healthier the feeder, the healthier the animal, right?

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Yeah, i used to be pretty grossed out by them too. now im just desensitized at this point lol. Im sure they will eat the greens , altough in my experience they tend to like collard greens more than the kale, but i also have them in flukers cricket diet along with the greens, maybe theyll eat more since you only have them in greens, let me know, sounds like a good idea. i also give them flukers cricket quencher with calcium to increase thier calcum content every 2 days or so, they eat it pretty redially

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think you need a bigger tub, something like a plastic shoe bin, I cut a hole on the cover about five inch square and place a piece of screen over the hole, the last one I made I used this type of plastic mesh for crafting and found it was much easier to glue and better air circulation than the screen I used. This plastic shoe box is a perfect size for them, not too big not too small! I just put a mixture of natural bran, oats, cornmeal and place it in a food processor, just a few pulses but not necessary, then I place carrot slices on the top of the substrate (mixture). I replace the carrots every 2nd day, I find that this way doesn't add any additional moisture that may cause mold.

This is what the plastic sheets look like, found at any craft store or dollar store, walmart.
    Plastic Canvas - Australia's Leading Cross Stitch website, shipping worldwide.
    and the shoe box
    http://www.containerstore.com/shopContent/auxImages.html?productId=10001753&page=1

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Doesn't the calcium in the water gel affect super worms they way they affect crickets and roaches? Wouldn't the calcium kill of the breeders?

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I just fed them fresh food. Haven't given them any calcium. Prefer to coat them just before feeding.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

i havent noticed any huge die offs, i dont breed them so it might kill them over the long term, idk. i usually buy like 50 at a time, and feed them till they are gone, i feed it to the crickets too, but same thing, i buy them young like a hundred at a time and replenish as needed