This Disappears When Logged In

zoos...ugh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manhirwen, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I went to the zoo on Saturday and I noticed something interesting and a little disturbing and I was wondering everyone's thoughts on it.

There was an Emerald tree boa housed with many different colors of poison dart frogs. I don't know if they were wild caught or captive bred but they were in the same enclosure, it just didn't seem like the greatest idea to me. That wasn't all either, they had a couple pancake tortoises housed with Mali Uromastix. And also the green anaconda was house with some turtles. I know it all looks cool but it just didn't seem like the best idea to me.

2. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

the tortoise and the uro together is TOLERABLE, provided that they have good space. they both have similar diets and habits. But the other things just won't cut it.

3. Cornyballpython

Cornyballpython Elite Member

wont the conda eat the turts?

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Not if it's well fed. Turtles are pretty low on the list of things they'd prefer to eat. As long as it's getting a steady diet of mammals, the turtles should be ok. If they were experiencing complications hopefully they'd stop housing them like that. Although I don't recommend mixing species, I do know it's very possible to do if you know what you're doing. I've been keeping community herp tanks my whole life. Hehe, sort of a "do as I say, not as I do" sort of thing I guess.

5. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

All of the animals had TONS of space so that wasn't an issue, the anaconda was HUGE but everything seemed to be very healthy, I just hope they know what they're doing.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

What zoo was it?

7. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

its a zoo they have prolly been doing it for years i'm pretty sure they know what they are doing you said they had space and looked healthy

8. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I have housed these animals in the same situation.

9. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

It was the Oregon zoo, and all the animals looked fine, it was just interesting seeing frogs and a snake together like that.

10. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

Since both the emerald and frogs come from South American Rainforests, I don't see a problem. Frogs aren't an emerald's choice of food.

Craig

11. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Yeah the exibit in that room was the "flooded rainforest" so I guess all the animals that were together were from the same places.

12. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yeah, what cody said lol. should have read before lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.