This Disappears When Logged In

ZooMed Eco Earth, your experiences

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by furryscaly, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I don't think I've ever actually used the stuff myself, but I've had a brick sitting around for almost a year now and decided I could use it for a couple new millipede habitats. It says on the package to let it soak in 3-4 liters of water for 30 minutes and it'll be good to go. Um, no. 3 and a half hours into it, an extra liter or so of water, and some manual breaking-up of the brick, and it's still a brick. It's supposed to soak up the water and turn into a nice soil-like substrate. Has anyone had better luck with the stuff or is it always this difficult to work with? I'm sure it makes a decent substrate, but that's no good unless I can actually get it to that consistency.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not sure it's exactly the same, but I use some similar bricks here in Switzerland. I think they are fantastic.
    But it's not as easy as they say. I always pour some HOT water over them. They usually swell up first and then you can scrape off some of the soil, put it in a separate container, then add some more hot water, etc.
    In the end, it's usually too wet for my BP enclosure, so I have to squeeze out a lot of the water and let it dry out again for a while.
    But the soil itself is great, never had any bugs in it or anything.
    Good luck!

3. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Yup -- it takes a LOT longer than the package says, but eventually, it's nice stuff to work with.

4. Paige

Paige Elite Member

Dito, I just expanded a brick not too long ago for my hermies...It take a long time! The brick soaks up the water and gets softer..so you can start to break it up. It is just like soil.

5. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I think its the same as bed a beast, I got a brick last week, it said to soak for 30 mins, was ready way before 30 mins, was a big mush of soil lol and very messy, I had it all over the bathroom lolol...my Sav loves it though :D

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, I think it's the same as Bed-A-Beast. Maybe that stuff isn't packed as tightly or something. I wound up leaving mine overnight, and this afternoon it still held much of its brick shape. I managed to break it apart, then had to drain the water out and press it. I broke it down some more and now it's sitting in the sun because it's a bit too damp.

I suppose this may have been easier if I had a bucket, but I was using a garbage bag :rolleyes: Well, it looks good now at least, just a pain in the butt to get it that way when you're expecting the directions to be accurate.

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Directions are usually never accurate, lol.

I've used it for my Tomato Frog. I like it, its fun watching it expand :D

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I've never had an issuse with it, it works in about the time it says. My only complaint is that I can't break the brick in half until its been expanded.

9. Dark-Side

Dark-Side Active Member

i used the bed a beast it worked fine for me did take more than 30 minutes and i helped it mix in a bucket and let it sit a bit longer also i used water on the very hot end other than that it fine i like it have that mixed with bark seems to work good
    i did how ever mange to break that brick in half i had to saw at it with a knife and some water on the cut line to help then broke it over my knee after sawing about 25% into it around
    was alot of work just to cut a little brick but if you have some power tools it'd be so much easier

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Get a saw ;)

My other complaint is that it doesn't appear to have expanded as much as I was hoping. It says 7-8 liters of substrate, but I guess that's spread pretty thin, meaning most of it would be air. You keep it moist and kind of pack it down a little like I did and you could fit all of it in a 2 liter bottle or two. Overall it still fulfilled the need I had for it, just not the expectations.

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I used a drywall saw and really got nowhere...other than frustrated and messy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.