This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Med's Crickets.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Gibson90kb, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

I'm not sure if any of you have ordered your crickets from here or are debating it. So, I've decided to make a review of my own. I, one moment ago, ordered 500 3/4 in. crickets from the Zoo Med website. It claims to be overnight shipping and have cold weather packaging, heading pads etc. I also ordered a UVB bulb, an 18" 5.0, I hope they come at the same time.

### Zoo Med 18" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb ###
    * Price: $17.99
    * Quantity: 1
    * Final price: $17.99

### Overnight Crickets .75" ###
    * Price: $27.99
    * Options:
    cool weather packing feeder charge: Cool weather packing feeder charge +$1.95
    * Quantity: 1
    * Final price: $29.94

So the order being placed on Thursday, I'll keep you updated.

2. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

I don't mean to start any debates or anything BUT, if you ever feel the need to change where you buy from, here you are:

ArmstrongCricket.com
    500ct - $16.00
    1000ct - $20.00

FlukerFarms.com
    500ct - $9.95
    1000ct - $13.95

Well....I was gonna add MulberryFarms.com as well but it seems they are having problems with thier crickets and have removed them from sale until the problems can be fixed. Uh oh?

Anyways, the only reason I post this is because I made a spreadsheet comparing the prices of a couple stores the other day due to me making a large superworm order less than a week ago.

I'm not trying to thread jack or oppose any business towards ZooMed....but I do know that pinching pennies is priceless these days and I want to help you save some money if possible.

Goodluck, and keep us posted on the results of your order!

3. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

Actually I encourage you to share your results and where you order from. My local shop sells them from $1 a dozen but I wanted to try bulking. The only reason I went to the Zoo Med's website was for the bulb for an Anoles Viv. I decided to shop around and that caught my eye. I researched on-line feeders before but I didn't wan to toss my credit card at an unfamiliar website. :s

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

IMO bulking is the way to go. Even with the shipping charges, its less than half the price of store bought ones and you aren't running out constantly to get them.

Reptilefood has been my most recent ordering place.
    Worm Man's Worm and Crickets Farm used to be good, but for some reason they have gotten really expensive.

5. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

Oh noes I've been swindled! Lol
    Flukers and Reptilefood seem to be the way to go huh?

6. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

You can always find a cheaper price SOMEWHERE, just takes time to find it.

It's always a good thing to have multiple places to purchased from as well, just incase something occurs in that region and they are unable to ship or thier stock dies (like Mulberry Farms)...you will always have another vendor ready to take your order.

7. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

OK, so Zoo Med's email notification told me orders had to be place by midnight on Monday to be received the same week. (Just an FYI do other sites do this?) Now I have to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday.

8. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

Eh!? I'm not sure I understand that clearly, maybe it's just me though.

I know most sites I order from will state that they accept orders all week long but all live orders must be placed before Thursday 4pm or so to be recieved THAT week. No new orders will be shipped after that time because they cannot guarantee that you will recieve it on time (companies close on weekends, some companies don't deliver certain days, etc.), so if you made your order after Thursday 4pm or so, it will ship the following Monday.

P.S.
    Now that I've thought about it, what kind of shipping did you choose? If you chose your average ground delivery or something I can understand that statement. Order it before Monday midnight, time for order to process, 3-4 days shipping....already Wednesday or Thursday. I was talking about Priority Overnight because that's the only kind of shipping I use when ordering LIVE feeders. Hmmm, but if you used 3-4 days, ground, or anything like....I can see where a disclaimer like that would be in order. So what was your shipping method?

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

When I ordered my roach colonies the 3 places I got them from only shipped on mondays, 2-3 day ground (usps) and they arrived on thursday. I believe most places that ship live via 2-3 day ground ship monday-tuesday only, and thats to ensure the live gets delivered live ;) because most places have a guaranteed live delivery and need to make sure the feeders get delivered by friday

10. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

I tried breeding circkets but failed as i had too much damm fungus's so now im breeding Wood Roaches and have about 1500 in there from 1000 start

11. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

UPDATE:
    Crickets have arrived on Tuesday, this morning. They came fed with half of a potato and the "cold weather packaging" was just a small heating pad tossed in. The heading pad was just a hand warmer you can find in any store, and the size of this heating pad compared to the package itself was irrelevant. Overnight shipping was nice, but I'm still quite disappointed in how much I paid.

All in all, it will be quite worth the price I'm sure. The bulb did not come with it, it must be a separate order.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That sounds about right. All they are concerned with is keeping the crix from getting too cold and dying. They are not needing to maintain a tropical temperature like they would if they were shipping a reptile.

13. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

I also use Flukers' cricket quencher. Is it worth it? It says it contains calcium... but calcium kills crickets. Has anyone else used this? If it starts to kill my precious crickets I'm not going to be happy and that little jar is going on a flight out my back door.... or worse.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I don't use that stuff. I just dust my crickets with calcium when its feeding time. I use the water gel with nothing in it... but water.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never used the gels. I just toss a peice of potato or carrot in with them, usually carrot as they don't tend to get moldy.
    You can even use a small jar lid full of gravel with water in it so the crickets don't fall in and drown.
    When it comes to standing water crickets are pretty stupid.

16. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

I have used this stuff without a single bit of problem....I actually wanna try out the Fluker's Orange Cube though, they supposedly have water and a food source in one cube....this would NOT be a substitute for gutloading though.

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

When I had a bunch of crickets (never bred them just had 5 dozen or so at a time) I tried the flukers orange cubes and it would kill the crickets. If I used veggies and water crystals they were fine but as soon as I put a cube in I would find dead crickets the next day. So in my opinion just use veggies and water crystals.

18. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

I still find crickets that drown even in 2mm of standing water. They are indeed very stupid.

19. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I buy 1000 crickets a week. The fluker's gutload works great as food. For water I use the crystals. The best place to get these is Home Depot in the gardening section. They are the same thing you mix in with the soil. They are made by Schultz and the bottle says Moisture Plus Watering Crystals. The 12 oz bottle will last you years. Mix the little scooper with a pint of water and watch them expand. It is crazy how much you get out of a little scoop. The left over mixed stuff I put in a sealed jar and keep it in the fridge until I need it. This set up has been working for me for some time and is super cheap. You may want to check out timberline for your crickets that is who we use.
    Gary