This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Med PowerSun MVB

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Vers, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Hey guys and gals, I was wondering if anyone out there is using either the 100w or 160w version of these lamps that owns or has access to a good UV meter. If so, could you please provide me with readings at 12"?

More on why I'm asking for this in a bit...

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm in the process of swapping out my new bulb because my 100 watt is reading 6. My other ones (both 100 watt) read at 55 and 49. Unfortunately, the ones I get from Amazon seem to only last up to a few weeks. Now, why if I may ask? :confused:

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, not to take away from the OP`s question, but are you saying your Powersun`s only last a few weeks?

4. DragonsKeepers

I've had three from Amazon that lasted a day at most. My last one lasted about three weeks and then burned out. I've also had for shipped broken. This one is new, but UVB is way low. I don't know what Amazon is shipping out, but I sent a complaint to the shipper, Amazon, third party Amazon dealer, and Zoo Med to complain about the lack of quality. I have one from craigslist that was in for three months without an issue (took it out before I got UVB meter because I was concerned about the age - previous keeper claimed three months old $5). That one is back in now. Just tested UVB at 43. I didn't want to include that in my original answer because of the age of the bulb.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Well, I have been under the impression over the years that PowerSun MVBs create more UVB than your typical 10.0 UVB fluorescent. It has come to my attention, having recently received a UV meter, that this does not appear to be the case...and if the readings are correct not even by a long shot. All this time it was my understanding that Zoo Med's PowerSun MVB's were capable of producing upwards of 200 uW/cm^2 @ 12". The day I received my meter I ran a couple readings within my upper enclosures, which use 160w MVBs, to find that they were producing extremely low UVB output, I'm talking ~20 uW/cm^2, which wasn't a huge surprise considering the fact that the bulbs were both over 6 months old. So, without questioning it, I replaced one with another that had been used a few months ago for a few weeks when I had a mali rescue. It wasn't until I took readings from the virtually new lamp that I started to wonder. Again, the bulb was giving me a reading of right around 20 uW/cm^2, which is unacceptably low. This prompted me to call Zoo Med for an explanation and a possible replacement. When I did I ended up getting in touch with Rita, Zoo Med's customer service rep, who asked me to email her a few images of the readings which she could then send over to their R&D department. I complied and sent various images of readings taken at multiple distances along with an image of a reading taken beneath my Arcadia t5 HO bulb as proof that the meter was functioning normally. It's been over a week and I've yet to hear anything back from her, even after a couple follow up calls and emails (I was told by another employee that she was busy with a trade show, yet when I spoke with here a few days earlier she said she would call me back right away, which didn't happen). And so, thinking the new bulb was just a random dud, I decided to go ahead and order two more in the meanwhile. The replacements arrived yesterday afternoon. After I installed the new bulbs I allowed them to warm up for an hour or so before I took any readings. After the warm up period I took my first reading...25 uW/cm^2 (!!!). I was completely shocked. These are the same bulbs I've been recommending to people thinking they provided significantly more UVB than they actually do--what an idiot. While build and heat output is good, a key component of their design (producing UVB) is seemingly nonexistent. Now, it may be premature to assume that ALL of Zoo Med's MVB lamps produce insufficient levels of UVB, however based on the sample size I would think that it's the cold hard truth. If it is the case, I will be asking for a complete refund for the bulbs I just purchased as well as for the bulb that had barely been used and will be going entirely with Arcadia t5 HO bulbs, which will mean a modification of my top enclosures.

On a positive note I have been in touch with Todd at lightyourreptiles.com who informed me that he thinks we'll see 110v Arcadia MVB lamps coming this September.

6. DragonsKeepers

I just talked to Todd as well, and we discussed my findings with the Powersun bulbs and I actually asked as well about the Arcadia MVB's. I actually ordered two more Arcadia HO bulbs from him and figure the MVB is supplementary for me (and more for basking). Now I know the intensity plays some role, but the UK light site is currently compiling their data and I can't seem to find the formula for comparison to different brands. I am glad I'm not the only one who sees the MVB's as a lower UVB than the Arcadia. I was waiting to post my results until I checked a few bulbs to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I didn't want to start a fight in here without more proof. Thanks for taking the initiative on that ;)

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Which is precisely why I presented the thread the way I did :D

8. DragonsKeepers

Lol. Smart plan.

9. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Wow great information definitely not gonna but power sun bulbs anymore even tho those were the ones recommended to me what about the the exo terro solar glo mvb because I started out with the exo terra ones then was told the zoo med ones were better which is what I am using now I think I might have to do what you're doing and use the Arcadia tubes and modify my enclosures until the Arcadia MVB come out

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Honestly, I've never recommended Solar Glo before and still wouldn't, at least not until they are tested. The only bulbs I trust at the moment are Arcadia's t5 HO fluorescents...these things perform exceptionally well.

11. DragonsKeepers

Fully agree.

12. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Since you're talking about Arcadia T5s - do they measure up to the values advertised on Arcadia's website?

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yes, the measurements posted on the site are accurate.

14. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Any time Vers or DragonsKeepers starts a lighting thread, it should just be titled "Pro tips".

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Here is direct email correspondence between myself and Zoo Med in regards to the issue I've recently stumbled across...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:47 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:19 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:57 PM

Let's see how this is handled....

16. DragonsKeepers

Wow, nice, Matt. I haven't even seen a response besides the generic thank you for contacting us canned email. Will you message me her email address and I'll follow up as well with my results. I'm curious why their box pushes healthy levels (which would be actual outdoor UVB levels), but they claim that is too high for animals.

By the way, right now, it's 93 here in Colorado at 1:30 pm. UVB meter says 340 uW/cm2.

17. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Haha - nice, Vers.

Does the rep think they're subjected to that level of UV *EVERYWHERE* the reptile goes? No hides? No UV gradient?

Silly rep. Probably given a "playbook" issued by some suit on the board or something :p

18. justor

justor Elite Member

I like how she used the abbreviation for milliwatts instead of microwatts lol.

13 mW/cm2 is equal to 13,000 uW/cm2!

19. DragonsKeepers

I noticed that too.

20. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Well this is good information non the less specially since ill be getting a uromastyx in the next reptile show and definitely getting some Arcadia bulbs