This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Med Power Sun MV Bulbs

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by falconut, Aug 24, 2011.

1. falconut

falconut Member

With all the problems with the Megaray bulbs, I had to purchase a new bulb. My 100 Watt Megaray only lasted 1-1/2 months, which I'm finding out is common. I've got emails in for the warranty, but as others have found, no response so far.

My local stores had either the Zoo Med Power Suns or the Exo Terra Solar Glo bulbs. After reading more negitive info. on the Solar Glos, I opted for the Power Sun 100W. I was curious to read in their instructions that these bulbs need to be mounted vertical rather than on an angle. They claim that if they are mounted on an angle, then they might burn out prematurely. I changed the mount and now have it completely vertical.

Are these the new bulbs of choice with Megaray now out of the picture?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Megaray isn't out of the picture and thats how rumors are started. One batch of bad lights out of the thousand good lights you don't hear about doesn't take someone out of the running. Especially when that light has the highest and safest UV index of all the lights available.

The powersun failed to mention that if you put their light on an angle not only will it burn out prematurely but the UVB is cut drastically because of the arc. As it is, the powersuns strongest UVB is put out over a very small area. (Picture a nickel or quarter) As soon as you go outside of its sweet spot it dissipates rapidly. Measure it with a UV meter.

From the ReptileUV website which was actually posted by Frances Baines (UV Guide UK)

3. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I like powersun it has always worked well for me but it is a little weak on UVB output, but not bad. The reptisun 10.0 tube is a great light and gives off great UVB. I've tested the UV output with my solarmeter 6.2 The mega ray gives off great UVB too but the beam is VERY narrow. I have bought and tested so many UVB bulbs and have learned that none of them are perfect.

4. falconut

falconut Member

Rich - I'm not trying to spread rumors, just trying to keep my lizard healthy. Once I found Megaray, I thought I was good. Until recently. My 1-1/2 month old Megaray died and they haven't responded to my 3 emails yet. I've read a lot of forums where this has happened too. I also read your posted article.

They answered my emails quickly in June when I ordered this bulb. But, I would have preferred them to let me know there was an issue with the 100 Watt bulb before sending it to me and I would have gone up to the 160 Watt, which is supposed to be OK. But anyway, I'm hoping they honor their warrantee and I'll keep one as a backup. But, I agree with others that it's hard to feel safe ordering from a company that doesn't response when there's an issue.

If they don't start responding to peoples emails and are still having bulb dying issues, I don't see how they can stay in the picture. What good is a great UVB producing bulb if it doesn't work?

5. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

i found the power sun bulbs lasted much longer than the solar-glo bulbs but never lasted much longer than 6-8 months.

i believe all mercury vapour bulbs are supposed to mounted vertically with the base up but i could be wrong. this could of also been the reason your megaray burned out prematurely!?

6. falconut

falconut Member

It's possible, but the instructions with the Megaray never mentioned mounting them vertically. I've had the old ones mounted on angles before and they were fine.

Hoping the Power Sun lasts at least 8 months.

7. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

well i know the solar glo bulbs also instruct to avoid mounting at an angle so id stick to mounting vertical.

i havent had a megaray burn out on me in the last 2-3 years +knock on wood+

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I'm in the same situation as you guys - I'm using two 100 watters for two different enclosures, and I've got no spares. If one burns out I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I rely on both of them for heat so a fluorescent is out of the question.

I sure hope reptileUV gets up and going soon.