This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium- 12x12x18

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by biollantefan54, Jul 29, 2012.

1. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

Is this good for an Avicularia Avicularia? Is it ventilated enough for that species?

2. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Size: Yes. I don't know how big your Avic Avic is, but I believe they can grow to around 5.5" - so you've got size covered.

Screen MAY be a problem though. I couldn't find many pictures of the enclosure itself but it does look like there is a screen top. I've heard of Avics getting their legs stuck in mesh screens and being unable to get free, resulting in a dropped leg. They leg can regrow after a few molts, but why risk it? I haven't ever seen an Avic do this, just heard about it many many times - YMMV.

In my limited Avic experience (single Avic versicolor) and the word-of-mouth in the T hobby is that CROSS ventilation is key. I make sure that my T's box has ventilation on the top walls and bottom (substrate level). This allows any convection currents to move air through the box. Air is also exchanged semi-daily when I put some mist on the walls.

When my Avic gets that big, I'm planning on going with these guys: TarantulaCages.com - Arboreal Cages ... unfortunately those have screen holes. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

I've heard of people using doll display cases that are side opening, too... you could then drill your own vent holes. Just a thought.

3. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

I don't have an Avic, yet. And no, it isnt a screen lid, thanks though.