This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Med Excavator Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by kagerou, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kagerou

kagerou Elite Member

Has anyone used the Zoo Med Excavator substrate? I'm thinking of trying it, but I would love a review before I dish out the funds. Any Help? Sorry if I already missed it.

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I haven't used it but i've heard some people on the site talking about it...hopefully someone comes along and can give you a review.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've looked into it before and it seems like a great product. The big drawback for me is most burrowing reptiles would need a lot of it. So at $8 - $12 a back for a 5 lb bag it costs a small fortune to do even a 36 x 18 tank. Since you need at least 4 inches so they can dig in it.

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I haven't used this product but have used some like it. Now I perfer to mix my own sand/clay mixes. This type of substrate is ideal for burrowing spp. but you could do the same for a third of the price for the needed amount. one down side is it is very heavy (more so than pure sand as it compacts very well).

5. kagerou

kagerou Elite Member

What are some mixtures you use? Type of clay and sand/clay ratrios?

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I've used it. For the amount you get for the price, I don't say it's worth it. It creates like a rock hard mortar mix. It was a pain to take back out of the tank when I changed it. I like the idea, but to me its just way to hard for any reptiles i have. When i took it out i had to let it set for an hour so the darn stuff would sort of soften up enough for me to remove.

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I use normal leim clay mixed to at about 1/4 per weight so (5 pounds for every 25 of sand) you can use really any sand you like fine sands seem to work best. I've also used fine crushed granit or quartz sand. I can get really hard another reason I like to mix my own so it's a bit looser and eazier to work with.

8. kagerou

kagerou Elite Member

Thanks alot! I'm gonna give it a try.

9. griffonwing

griffonwing New Member

Can you mix this Excavator with, say, 1 or 2 parts sand? Or would this cause the substrate to be too unstable?

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It would depend on how much you mixed with it. Also if you maintain a level of moisture in the substrate it will facilitate burrows.

11. griffonwing

griffonwing New Member

I am going to try some tonight and see how it does. If it works well, it'll save a lot of money. I bought 2 bags a few days ago, but luckily I haven't opened any yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.