This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Med Digital Thermometer W/ Probe

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by LeeLeeCrestee, Mar 7, 2010.

1. LeeLeeCrestee

LeeLeeCrestee Well-Known Member

is this product any good? i was thinking of purchasing it, but i saw the price (which was around 12-15 dollars averagely) and thought twice..i want to know if it is worth the money and is accurate.

2. jono

jono Elite Member

i have this thermometer and am currently using it in my discoid bin to moniter their temps. i dont have another thermomether to compare it to but it seems very accurate and works just fine. simple to use and quick and easy display. i also think they state on the package that it is acurate to within 1-2 degrees, which is pretty good for that price.
    also.. 12-15 bucks? i think you should shop around more. not sure where you are from but i know at pet co in my area theyre only 7 bucks and i got mine as a freebie from pond side herp supplies. (i did not order online though i went to their shop so i dont think you should expect the same from them as it was my first time in their shop they were just doing their part to try and get a new repeat customer) i think they sell it on their site for like 5 bucks?
    check it out.
    herpsupplies.com - pond side herp supplies

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Just go to walmart and get a digital therm/hygrometer from there. You can get a good one for around $10.

4. LeeLeeCrestee

LeeLeeCrestee Well-Known Member

at Walmart? ill have to check that out..when i get my next paycheck..its gonna be a biggun!

i live in good old Wisconsin..GO! PACK! GO!

5. jono

jono Elite Member

yes walmart is a good place to start your search. go for an indoor/outdoor one. they also have therm/hygro combos that are great. just picked a couple up today for 7 bucks a piece. they do not have probes which i prefer so they just go directly in the enclosure to measure ambient air temp and humidity. the ones with probes are better for measuring temps in a specific place such as near a basking area.

6. snubber

snubber Elite Member

I use these in my tanks now. They seem pretty accurate they are usually .1 or .2 degrees different when compared to my infrared temp gun.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you want one with a probe, check amazon:

Amazon.com: Taylor 1523 Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer & Hygrometer: Home & Garden

If you are okay with no probe, by all means, use the wal*mart variety.

Most thermometers with a probe will take only the temp with the probe (Make sure you know the specs for what you are buying) and will measure both temp and humid from the base unit (but not humid with the probe). Hope that helps!

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can get the remote probe kind and it will read humidity ;)
    (that's the kind I use and I think I payed around $24 at Lowe's)

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Good to know! (But I'm a cheapskate, I'll just stick it in the cage)

10. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

I find the probe very helpful as it can be used to spot-check temperatures in hides, in the substrate, basking spots and almost any other part of your enclosure. I have a 1 year old Savannah who is well known by my friends and family 'rearrange' the furniture in her enclosure, but she's never once touched or moved the probe :p she pays no attention to the cable.