This Disappears When Logged In

Zoo Keeper?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by ChristsMartyr, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ChristsMartyr

ChristsMartyr Well-Known Member

Okay, so I am in dire need of advice from people who work at a zoo. zookeepers? Just curious because Im about to start training with venomous and other various species of snakes and reptiles so I can have some experience when I begin to apply for zookeeper in my area/state. I was wondering what the requirements are, Im also about to begin college and take the classes required + try to transfer to one that offers herpetology. Am I missing anything? Is there a demand for certain areas of the zoo, especially working with reptiles. What are other options I could consider working with reptiles? I still have a while to go before being qualified, but Im doing as much research as possible.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm pretty sure there is no major in herpetology, but you get a zoology degree and you can concentrate on herpetology studies.

Start out with volunteering at your local zoo. That's the best way to get a foot in. Also see if they have internships.

3. ChristsMartyr

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was a zookeeper briefly, and at least in my zoo, there did not seem to be any kind of minimum qualification - education was preferred, but half our staff had degrees in unrelated fields - communications, etc. a zoology degree certainly wouldn't hurt, nor would any additional courses or training you can get - they'll make you stand out from the dozens or hundreds of other applicants who might not have the same credentials. Best of luck!

5. ChristsMartyr

Thank you :) I intend to take zoology as well, its just hard to find colleges who offer herp. And I want it to be a sidedegree bc I specifically want to work with reptiles. Thank you both for your help guys yall are awesome! Lol

And I can't volunteer at the moment because the closest zoo is an hour away so I can't afford it but I will move up :)

schlegelbagel I also wasn't ignoring your advice I take all the advice and guidance I can receive to heart. Thank you, both of you! :)