This Disappears When Logged In

Zilla Clips

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Grant, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Member

Hey guys. I'm a new kingsnake owner. Have a 10gallon tank, zilla screen, overhead lamp and side heater. Using aspen substrate.

My question is about the zilla clips I got with the tank and screen. I can't figure out how to attach them to my screen. The part of the clip that is supposed to attach to the screen is not big enough. Any tips? What other items or methods are good ways to secure the screen? Right now I'm using books until I can figure something out.

Thanks

The clips:
    Zilla - Where Reptiles Rule » Fresh Air Non-Locking Screen Clips | Products

2. Grant

Grant Member

I'm also having problems getting the temperature above 80 degrees. I have a UTH mat mounted on one side and a 10 UVB 26 Watt bulb with a Mini Deep Dome lamp directly on the screen over towards the right side of the tank as well. Do I need a different kind of light bulb?

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

How are you measuring your temps? Are you using digital or analog thermometers? The reason i ask its because analogs have been known to be up to15° off.

4. Grant

Grant Member

Wow that much? I'm using an analog one. Guess I'll go to Home Depot and find a digital one...

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I tried looking up the clips but doesn't tell me a whole lot about their use.
    You could use stick on velcro strips to secure it.
    I've never used that type of bulb but at 26 watts it is not going to give off much heat.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok, as oriented in the photo the flat part at the top of the clip slides under the frame of the screen top and the lower portion slides under the top frame of the tank.

Actually I prefer the velcro method.
    DSC01313.jpg
    DSC01314.jpg
    DSC01315.jpg

The bulb he is talking about is a compact UVB bulb. And Mike is right, it won't help, much with heating.
    But You do not need a UVB bulb with a kingsnake anyway.

Attached Files:

7. Grant

Grant Member

Ok great! I actually got the clips to work finally. What type of lamp do you suggest to increase the heat within the tank?

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

With a 10 gallon tank you can try a normal 60 watt incandescent bulb. You'll likely want to put it on a dimmer for better control of temps.

9. Grant

Grant Member

Sweet thanks just got the setup you suggest. Working perfectly