This Disappears When Logged In

Zap Land!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Wyldrose, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

This is long over due poor Zap the CWD living in a 50 gal!
    I found an armoir for $30 and loaded it into my minivan!

It's 60"h x 24"deep x 36" wide. Not as big as I wanted to go, thankfully Zap is a female and wont get as big as a male.
    017-13.jpg

I took the doors and back off, took the hanger off, hinges off, nailed the doors on the front, turned it upside down. Then started the paint job :) Outside is high gloss black inside is eggshell. (Don't look at my messy house!! lol)
    006-37.jpg
    Got out the paints and got creative, I am sure a grade school kid would have done better :)
    007-35.jpg
    I can basically only paint horses:
    003-35.jpg

So now I have to caulk all the seams, do a bunch of coats of sealer, build the water fall( she needs a water fall!) and make the sheet of plexiglass into a door, add lots of branches, live plants, light fixtures etc!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

"I can basically only paint horses" XD

Love it. But I need you to get busy making slate colored baby corns! ;b

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I need to find some mature male corns!! I think I'm going to trade one of my girls for a boy! I can't burn out FlameStrike, 7 girls is a bit much for him! Striker only has one hemipene so idk if he can or will be able to mate...

4. CentriRitanni

I need a slate corn! T_T Haha!

By the bye, you can make a pretty cool forest pattern painting with sponges. :) You could also make the tree trunk 3D with some braided faux vines. Did I mention I'm an interior design student? Okay, good! Are you going to put in any shelves or a hammock?

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I'm going to go branch hunting! I hope to find some good ones. I think I'll mount them to the sides :)
    I think I'll get some leaf stamps and add some better leaves :) lol I got tired and did a fast job on it lol!
    Dollarama has some leaf vines too so I might hot glue/caulk some in too. It'll look better when it's done!

6. CentriRitanni

You actually don't need leaf shaped ones. Just pick a few shades of green, then get a standard kitchen sponge, one of those weird squishy sponges (the kind like the "expanding" pills), and a natural sponge. Start by putting on a base coat, then use the kitchen sponge to put on a pattern, then the squishy sponge, then the natural sponge. You'll get a lot of textures and it ends up looking a lot more natural than the leaf shapes, actually. :) Just remember to seal seal seal!

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Yep since it's for a water dragon it's going to be water proof lol :)

8. CentriRitanni

Good plan! ;b

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks great, Zap is going to Love it!

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Well Zap Land has been sealed, fake plants added, lighting added, waterfall/bio filter/live plant added
    002-47.jpg
    Testing the bio filter, it's 3 sections, 1st one is a live plant, 2nd is pea sized lava rock and 3rd is larger lava rock (Stole this idea from a turtle forum :) )
    004-44.jpg
    And Giving Zap a sneak peek!
    005-46.jpg

So now I need tofigure out how to make the door, I have the plexi, I just need to make a frame. Add branches, dirt more live plants and of course Zap :)

Attached Files:

11. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Get a cheap piece of molding and cut it to fit around the plexi. If you have a router, add a grove for it to sit in, or use small screws (three or four across top/bottom and five/six along sides) and silicone to hold it in place/make it a bit more rigid. Instead of pre-drilling the holes, punch them with a hot nail (use a torch to heat the nail) this helps to prevent weakening of the plexi.

Good luck with finishing it, and can't wait for more pictures. :D

12. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Some more work :)
    Branches, fake plants, the draconia my cats almost killed, dirt, rocks in the water dish. Annika, my daughter wanted to show Zap it :)
    035-8.jpg
    Thats a pretty teethy smile!
    I think thats her "Take me out of here and I take off a finger!" look
    034-7.jpg

The caulking on the door needs to cure overnight then hinges and then Zap say's good bye to the 50 gal and moves into paradise!

Attached Files:

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Great work Susan!! looks like Zap will be really moving up in the world :) That came out really nice

14. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Thank you! I feel bad for Zap, she's been in her little tank across from this, she's ready to move in lol! Also from where Zap is the beardies can see her so Spikey has been black bearded and head bobbing at her, Ruby's been trying to dig her way out lol! So as soon as Zaps away and out of their eye sight again I am sure they will settle down again.

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

well, one enclosure will make three little lizards happy then :D I admire all the work you put into your animals

16. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Well it's done and Zap is all moved in :)
    I put the door on upside down... ooops I messed up on the caulking so I was hoping to "hide" it lol! I'll have to scrape it off later.
    007-36.jpg
    Zap is one happy girl!

Attached Files:

17. ChicagoLizardLover

ChicagoLizardLover New Member

looks amazing! i might steal this idea for my Chinese water dragon when i do get it after (hopefully not soon) my 2 bahama anoles pass. the only change ill 100% make is the painting :) hope zap loves it!

18. CentriRitanni

Not at all picking on Susan, but if you are planning ahead on getting a CWD, then you should plan for an enclosure that is 6'wx3'dx6'+h. The armoire trick works, but really, bigger is much better, especially if you are thinking of possibly having more than one at any point. The thing to keep in mind is that they can get to be 3' long! The enclosure I just described is double the length in width, the width in depth, and double the width in height, which really isn't all that big if you think about it! :) Just some food for thought.

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I love it!

My only worry is the light.

1. Can your dragon touch it?
    2. Is it an MVB bulb?

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The lights a regualr 60 watt bulb the uvb is on the left hand side. It's about 10 inches from the basking spot.