This Disappears When Logged In

Yuki & Humidity

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Renouji, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Ok, so reading through the caresheet it just says they do not need high amounts of humidity but the humidity here in the desert is currently below 6% will Yuki be fine with this low amount at 3 wks old or should I increase his humidity?

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

increase to forty. of course, if you mean 60%, then decrease to fourty.

3. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

no I mean 6% thanks for the info I thought it might be too dry here for him, my roomies corn has a hard time shedding unless we put her in the tub.

4. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Absolutely too dry. They are found proliferically in florida and other humid regions. My suggestion would be to switch to a bioactive substrate system. (check out "The Art of Keeping Snakes" by Philippe de Vosjoli) At the very least, mix top-soil with sand (about 65%-35%) and cover the substrate with saphagum moss. If you select a moist substrate that can hold humidity and cover that with leaf litter and moss to protect it, you will have a much easier time preserving moisture. Keep in mind you will still have to "mist" and occasionally stir the substrate.

5. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

That sounds like alot of work....I'm gone to work for 10-13 hours a day 5 days a week not sure I have enough time to maintain that properly v.v. for now we are misting him a few times a day till I get paid and can buy a new thermometer with humidity display for his tank and see exactly where we stand inside the tank. Plus its not this dry all the time...last summer it only got as low as 21% this is extremely dry for us. during the winter its between 40-60%. And today outside humidity got upto 15% thankfully but they still say its gonna go back below 10% again tomorrow v.v.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The answer is really pretty simple. I suspect that you are using a screen top?
    If so take a peice of plywood or acrylic and cut it to fit the top and close off the screen. Add a large water bowl under or over your heat source and the humidity should not be an issue.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Yep what Merlin said :) If you do have concerns about shedding you can add a small plastic container (ie the deli container he came in) cut a hole big enough for him to fit in and fill it with damp moss.

8. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

I don't have a heat source since it is 80-90+ degrees in my place all year round I opted out of a heat source other than the sun light he gets from the window for 4-5 hours every morning. Unless I have problems with heating him this winter I don't plan on buying one either. One of the various reasons I chose a corn snake was the fact that my place is already the correct temperature and I thought the correct humidity; it is 7% outside today but because we use an Evaporative Air Cooler for AC (set to 80 degrees) the inside humidity is 23%.

I bought him from a breeder and never got any deli container because I brought my own container to carry him in. I am going to do one of the following mentioned options I'll decide which after I finish reading the book which I already owned and only skimmed through before ^_^. I am also currently building a wet hide for him with instructions from lizard-landscapes. FYI should I put this on his hot or cool side?

9. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

everything is all fixed now, I used eco earth with saphagum moss over it, I spritzed it twice today and his humidity is holding steady at 43-46% now. thanks for all the help guys.