This Disappears When Logged In

You've Come a Long Way, Baby Gollum!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hmmm Martin thinks you might be right. I'll go check on the live model and get back to you, Michele!! :)
    10 minutes later:
    Nope, that must be a shadow on the photo. I just looked UP CLOSE in bright lighting with a magnifying glass... no green on his nose anywhere that I could find!

2. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

She's so very pretty! Can't wait to see what she will look like in her adult colors! :D

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Looks like it could have been a reflection off the leaf next to him...

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

His story would make an awesome book! How small h/she was, the eyes, the lighter color, then he turns into the most beautiful one of all. Kind of like the ugly duckling

5. BlackJack

I might have to take that hint too, Michele! :)
    He's definitely beat the odds a few times over! (It would really be stunning if he got the beautiful blue markings of his father, but stayed mostly yellow on his body... Time will tell.)

6. mld

Can that happen?

7. BlackJack

I suppose ANYTHING can happen with Gollum!! ;)
    I was just wondering about it because he never developed his full pigmentation. His red came in fairly dark (not nearly as dark as the others) but he never got an intense yellow --except for a bit on his head. So perhaps he will not really develop the full green -- or maybe none at all. His red is definitely fading into a blue/lavender.
    If anything unusual happens, it will be because of his pre-mature hatching and not due to a genetic mutation. So he would be extraordinarily beautiful, but the coloring would not be passed on to offspring.

8. mld

Can't wait to see, how long does the average GTP take to get it final adult colorings?

9. BlackJack

Michele, you are so fast, I just went looking for a photo to illustrate the color-intensity difference between Gollum and his siblings (in this photo it was Rom): The other babies had red that was almost burgundy, but Gollums never got that intense either. (This photo was not manipulated in any way. Rom really was that stunningly yellow and poor Gollum that creamy, pasty-color.

395235927.jpg

It's hard to say, because they all change at different rates and ages: for Sorong types, like ours, it's usually done before their second birthday. So I'd say by this time next year, ours should all be finished! But Biaks and other special morphs (i.e. high-yellows) can take up to 5 years or more.

Attached Files:

10. mld

I love that photo, little Gollum looks so little beside Rom, what a big difference.

11. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

What Michele said.

12. BlackJack

It's one of my favorite photos too! I think if any SINGLE picture had to show how Gollum looked compared with his siblings or "normal" chondro hatchlings, this one says it all!!

Hey Gollum looks rather PINK today. (I swear this is not a flash or lighting problem... he really looks this orangey-pink color --Maybe it's a pre-shed thing)???? It's pretty :)
    400650877.jpg

Attached Files:

13. mld

I agree, very pretty, my precious!

14. BlackJack

Still no green showing on Gollum:
    30 January 2012
    400769411.jpg

And a pic of Gollum and Martok together: Martok seems almost finished with his change!
    They look almost the same size from the photo angle but actually Gollum is quite a bit smaller. Curious little guy:

400769414.jpg

Attached Files:

15. mld

Great photo of the two of them together!

Gollum does look a little mischievous in that photo, I'm Precious so what happened to you, your're green :p

16. BlackJack

ROFLMAO, Michele! Exactly!! (I guess you are just green with envy that I'm soooo precious!)

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Could the color change be brought on by physical size as opposed to chronological age?

18. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

How long is Gollum in inches?

19. BlackJack

I don't think so: Quark (baby number 11) was quite a bit bigger than Worf and he was still completely yellow and red (baby colors) when we sold him last week. Worf, Odo, Martok and Bashir were all smaller and had all started changing before him.
    It must be somehow genetically programmed: because they've all been kept under the same conditions, fed on the same schedules...

Joey: His last shed skin measured 28 inches. (so subtract about 15% = about 24 inches)

20. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Funny :) From what you had said before Recon is about the same age as Gollum I think. He's a bit longer now but he's also fefusing to start his color change. A couple of weeks he'll be 1 year old! :) Guess he's stubborn in everything ;) Keep the updates coming I love the pics!