This Disappears When Logged In

You've Come a Long Way, Baby Gollum!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

He WAS trying to hide! It took my several minutes of tapping him to get his head to come out of his coils just that far! ;)

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I still love Gollum! Those sweet pink shades are so precious! I'm so happy to see this little tiny snake come this far!!!

3. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Such a gorgeous baby! What kind of pet are they (in terms of handling or not)?

4. BlackJack

Most people would say they are more of a "look, don't touch" snake. The expert, Greg Maxwell says: "If you need to handle your snake, get a cornsnake!" But I've never had any trouble handling mine -- for weighing or bathing or photos -- as long as I take them out during the day. (At night, they are in hunting mode and would bite anything warm that moves near them!) I've been bitten too, but it's not any worse than a bite from a boa or colubrid, IMO.

5. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

i love how GTP's hang from their perch. its just so cool and its like they are programed to hang like that even after they just hatched. I admit it would be funny though to see one trying to learn how to hang like that. Beautiful babies!

6. BlackJack

It's really amazing, but they do seem genetically programmed to hang like that. Right after they hatch, they grab onto the nearest thing and get into that position. Here's a pic of three of the babies shortly after hatching: two are already "perched" and the third is getting into position
    395007713.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the babies with Mom (baby Nr. 2 "Kira") It's definitely not "learned"!!
    395007708.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Haha I spent the better part of this morning just looking through all of your posts about these babies. heck I even went back to the beginning with the parents :D I love this forum for that reason. I've spent many an hr reading touching stories and becoming attached to not only my animals but all of yours also!

8. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Love all the pics Andrea! They all have come a really long way! Gollum is so tiny compared to his siblings!

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Oh Andrea- It's so great to see Gollum again. He's such an amazing snake! And he's surely a he. Not sure where Liz is going with her very "female" remarks. LOL

It made my night to see them again. Wishing continued good luck with them, and continue to keep us amazed as we watch them grow!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL, Only time will tell! Will Gollum be a boy or a girl, Andrea said that she wouldn't be surprised if he is a she with her appetite!! ;)

11. BlackJack

Dominick, so glad to see your post. You "inofficially" named little Gollum an HC Mascot, so I was hoping you noticed how well s/he's doing.
    I say "he" because it would be awful to be female with a name like "Gollum" -- but Michele is right: he's got a chondro female's appetite!
    They are getting to the age when the males will start "fasting" and shedding sperm plugs, so I'd say we'll know for sure in the next 6 months. Although they are all big enough (over 100g) to probe, we haven't found it necessary to do it.

Kernel: Yes, he's gotten SO big but he's really is still tiny compared to the others: the quarter looks A LOT smaller next to Quark! But you'll just have to believe me that it's the exact same quarter! ;)

12. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Are sure that's not a dime, lol?

13. BlackJack

Ha (LOL), you might think so if I had taken the photos, but Martin's photos are so sharp, you can read the writing on the coins! (Quarter Dollar)
    So no cheating there!!

14. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Must have used photo shop then, lol.

15. BlackJack

LOL: Now no on will ever be able to verify this, because we just sold Quark!
    I'm a bit sad, but I think his new owner will take good care of him! I really hope so, at least. It's so hard for me that I try not to think about it too much. I'm sure the snake will be happy if he's warm and comfortable and fed regularly. But I talk to my snakes every day, compliment them on their good looks, take their picture, even sing to them on occasion -- good thing they don't have good airborne hearing, because my voice is terrible!!!... Still I showered them with attention; I hope they don't miss it too much.
    :(((
    I mean, it's clear that we just CAN'T keep them all, but I'm warning any potential breeders now: it's not easy to raise babies (of any species I suspect) from hatching/birth and then sell them off to total strangers.

16. mld

I'm sure that Quark will be fine!
    Kind of like having children, and them growing up and moving on, its hard to let go :(

17. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Just remember how good you treated them while you had them. I'm sure the new owner will take good care of him.

18. kik

kik Well-Known Member

I really like Gollum too ! You're sure you won't sell him ??? :p :p...

19. BlackJack

Sorry Kik! Gollum is just too precious to sell. I couldn't even begin to think of a price for him.
    And so far he's the only GTP in the house that I officially own! -- The others all belong to Martin, but I was able to choose one baby to keep, and I chose Gollum
    also sometimes known as "Marie-Antoinette"!
    400623848.jpg

Here's the missing head:
    400623852.jpg

And here is Gollum all knotted up and goofy:
    400623855.jpg

The red markings are so pretty now as a light lavender -- with the yellow it is just stunning. So far no sign of green anywhere though!!

Attached Files:

20. mld

Gollum is just so silly, very talented practicing knots!
    I think I see a little bit of green, just below the nose in that head shot