This Disappears When Logged In

You've Come a Long Way, Baby Gollum!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Just a reminder of how he looked 11 months ago at hatching: premature and tiny!! 6grams
    395014590.jpg

His head was much too small for his eyes and his pigmentation never developed as much as the other hatchlings.
    395026501.jpg

395570407.jpg

Here he is 11 months and a full 100grams later:
    400426720.jpg

Martin wrote me that he is now 106g. As you can see, he is still a much lighter yellow than the others --I wonder how intensive or pale his green coloration will be...
    Keep tuned into this thread to find out! ;)

Attached Files:

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Hes so cute! Looks like hes doing well.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh, I remember those eyes that were so large, glad that he grew into them, lol

I'm so amazed at how big he has gotten, he was such a little guy, we were all worried he wouldn't make it. But here he is, and ended up being one of the better feeders out of the clutch.

4. BlackJack

That's for sure, Michele! I'm not sure he would have made it without all of the good wishes and prayers from the members of HCN
    Also I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a female because of his voracious appetite!! :)

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Duh, of course it's going to be a girl. A man would have given into that fight a long time ago. ;)

6. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

He certainly has come a long way! I didn't realize GTPs were so tiny as hatchlings. I figured they would like BP hatchlings, not corn snake hatchlings.

7. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

hey now, I'm male and fought through when i was knocking on deaths door! lol i still say ill take Gollum just as soon as your done playing with him/her! lol looking good!

8. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

He really looks great.

9. Kalira

Kalira Elite Member

Wow that's just awesome. What a great experience to have. I'd love to raise one from the start!

10. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

He's such a beauty!

11. BlackJack

His siblings were all quite a bit bigger (2-3x as big at hatching): Ours were an average of 50-60cm long and 12-18grams. Only little Gollum was about 35cm and 6 grams. He must have had a problem with the umbilical cord because his yolk sac was still very full when he hatched. (The other babies had absorbed all their yolk before coming out of the egg.

12. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

He looks really great Andrea! So happy he is doing so much better. ;)

13. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

That's still a quite a bit smaller than I would have thought.

14. mld

The first time I ever saw a baby GTP in person, I was also taken back at just how small it was!

15. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, adult GTPs are about the same size as adult BPs, so I thought the babys would be close in size too.

16. BlackJack

Here is another viewpoint:
    Gollum compared to a US quarter (about the size of a 1CHF coin) in February 2011 shortly after hatching:
    395570407.jpg

Gollum yesterday 14 January 2012
    400532474.jpg

By the way, you can see he's started his color change too: the red markings are getting a lighter lavender/blue color... soon we might see some hints of green!! :)

Attached Files:

17. mld

The baby is going through his color change:x

I would love to see that quarter beside the others! Hint, hint;)

18. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

What a gorgeous snake! :) I've been thinking about getting a green tree python sometime.

19. BlackJack

I can take a hint Michele: ;)

Here is Quark with the quarter: He's the biggest baby we have left (and a bit bigger in this pic this morning because he has a 16.4g pinkie rat in his belly!)
    400545574.jpg

and now Gollum's picture again to compare (as you can see, Gollum is STILL tiny compared to his siblings!):
    400532474.jpg

Attached Files:

20. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Quark looks like he's trying to hide. "No, don't take pictures of me!!"