This Disappears When Logged In

your opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steveig2, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

due to my male iguana Jorge breaking 2 inches off the tip of his tail i had to make a rush vet appointment and couldnt get in to see my regular vet. the vet that i saw was appointment and treated his wound very well, we go to talking about proper iguana care and he started to mention castrations. he says hes done several successful castrations. now i personal wouldnt have this done on my iguana or suggest it to be done on any, however im curious if this is a new kind of norm in the community, mind you im not flaming the vet for doing thous im just asking for opinions on everyone elses experience or what they think. Jorge will be fine with his tail it should heal up and everything return to normal though i have no idea how he managed to do it.
    Steve

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Can't say I've heard of that before.:confused:

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Castration of male iguanas is something that has been tried (fairly recently) in order to diminish or eliminate male breeding aggression. In some cases it has seemed to work and in others has had no effect whatsoever. For a vet to suggest it be done just because he's done it before is outrageous! This is not like neutering a dog and is major surgery and has all the risks that that entails.
    Personally I WOULD flame the vet for suggesting the ig be castrated for no reason. Sounds like he is just trying to run up the bill.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I agree Merlin,,,,seems like he just wants to play 18 holes of golf instead of 9.

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I have to agree with Merlin and Ken, needless castration of male iguanas is becoming the in thing now a days. Some people try it on extrememly aggressive males only to find out the surgery didnt work...sometimes it does work...but it serves no purpose if done just to be done. I dont believe you have ever mentioned any problems with Jorge at all, so why fix it if it aint broke.....have fun....

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Im with Merlin, ken and lyn...

7. edge flyer

edge flyer Active Member

From Jorge HE WANTS TO CUT MY WHAT??????

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

rofl...If I were him Id be saying that too!

9. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

well in defence of the vet i never said he suggested it be done to my iguana. it was just something that came up in conversation, i would never have it done nor would i suggest it or recommend it. i was just curious if it has become a common practice and i was pretty sure most others would have the same opinion as me

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Then my apologies to your vet!
    I was under the impression that he was pushing to have you do it without cause.
    My error!

11. grim

grim Elite Member

Theres no reason to castrate a perfectly healthy male that has a good temperament, i could only see castration as an EXTREME measure by a herp owner that has a male that is highly agressive and he doesn't want to get rid of it. Also as has been stated, theres a ton of risk factors because herps reproductive organs are not like a dog or cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.