This Disappears When Logged In

Your Next Ten

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thalatte, May 8, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I know you didnt mean me but I wanted to show that I put thought into obtaining my animals as well. As a former rescuer (I had to stop I was being over run by vet bills and I punched an idiot so I knew it wasnt good for me to actively rescue anymore) I know what happens to animals that dont have alot of thought put into it. Ones that are purchased just because they are cool and people want them.
    Also not only do you have to consider the specific animals care requirements and the cost of everything but also how many animals you have. Even with a very good paying job and being able to support as many animals as you want doesnt mean that you should own as many as you can support. There is a point that you need to look around your house and ask if you are a hoarder. The time and effort needed to care for the animals properly can get overwhelming and is emotionally draining.

I have been at that point where I had several clutches of sulcatas, 6 hatchling cwds, 5 red eared sliders, and 4 beardies all these animals had medical issues and were rescues. Then in addition I still had my 6 dogs + my aunts 2 dogs + my sisters 1 dog, 1rabbit, 1cat, 2 tortoises, 2 land turtles, and my 7 toads. It gets overwhelming fast. Even though I had all the money for it and the room I still had to set aside 4 hours a day for light cleaning and feeding of all animals not to mention all weekend was spent deep cleaning everything.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

A lot of upkeep and money but well worth it! You'll find once you get the water chemistry just right your tank will thrive and do most of the work itself! Get in good with your local fish store, I worked for a privately owned one as a sales person and provided weekly upkeep to peoples and Dr offices tanks...so much fun!

3. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

We're in the process of building out our sitting room to put in a 500 gal zero maintenance living reef tank and adding on a room just for its refugium. Hopefully it'll be done by August. I can't wait until it's time to go get all the fish!

4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Aww! Your dog is sooo cuuute! Making me jealous now haha! And yeah, I would really love to have a pit but getting one before having a house just seems dumb. Plus, it's pretty much next to impossible to own one UNLESS you have a house, cause no place will accept them as they're an "aggressive breed".

Plus it just breaks my heart to see so many unwanted pitbulls littering craigslist and adoption centers and rescues...

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

my true list;
    1. a kitten (for my daughters birthday in the fall, she's been asking for one and yes I know I'll be taking care of it anyways)
    2. chondro... to be determined :)
    3. german sheperd puppy (miss having a dog around and my kid is finally old enough for me to get another one! :D )
    4. mojave male BP
    5. more green tree pythons in some shape or another ;)

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

HOw I read joeys list:

1. Kitten-guilt trip to convinvce wife he deserves another chondro
    2. Chondro-already picked out and half paid for but shhhh! wife doesnt know!
    3. german sheperd puppy-"But honey! its for the children! they need it!"
    4. mojave male Ball Python-to justify his obsession "no, I am not that crazy chondro guy! look I have two balls!"
    5. more green tree pythons in some shape or another (at this point the wife has just given up and made him build a large seperate shed to keep the snakes in so they arent in her house)

How did I do? :p

7. porcelain

porcelain Well-Known Member

1. Crested gecko
    2. A kitten
    3. Some kind of dog

My list is boring :p Probably won't have a dog for a while though, don't have time or space.

8. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Spot on to me. But he will probably keep them in the house to enjoy them all! I never understand why people keep them in a separate building. Beats the whole point.

9. tbron

tbron Elite Member

I would guess you are spot on

10. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

If i could pick any ten they would be...
    1 Lamprophis Aurora (Aurora House snake)
    2 Lamprophis Olivaceous (Olive house snake )
    3 Lamprophis Capensis (Cape house snake)
    4 Lamprophis geometricus (Seychelles house snake)
    5 Eremias Arguta (Steppe runner)
    6 Uromastyx Ornata
    7 Lichanura trivirgata gracia (Desert Rosy boa)
    8 Lichanura trivirgata trivirgata (Mexican Rosy boa)
    9 Charina bottae (Rubber boa)

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Ooh fun! :)

1. through 9. are monitor lizards

10. is a helodermatid :)

12. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I forgot about adding a Gila monster, (or beaded lizard for that matter) Such an interesting species...

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL, Actually I am starting my herp room in the basement this weekend! :-"

14. staypuft

staypuft New Member

1. Argus monitor
    2. Camian lizard
    3-7 every tree monitor (blue, black, yellow, green, kordo)
    8 green tree python
    9fly river turtle
    10 trio of pilbara rock monitors