This Disappears When Logged In

Your Biggest Influences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lopez82, Feb 26, 2012.

1. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Just curious as to whats everyones biggest influence(s) from a herpetology stand point ? Mine would have to be Raymond Ditmars, and of course Steve Irwin.

2. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I would guess Steve Irwin as well, but I was into Reptiles and made them my Life way before he was around, he just made it cool to do so

3. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I love the Python Hunters... I would love to have there jobs...

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My big brother Joseph! :D

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

For me is was my Uncle John back in the 60's. I didn't know it than at the time but I would soon be on the same path he traveled. Snakes and lizards always seemed around him and I was just in Ahw of reptiles because of his influence. Probably whey my mother was always blaming him for corrupting me :p Las summer I visited back east to see him again and my cousins (all half my age) where amazed at how much the two of us are alike LOL

Ya no clue where I got my influences from :p

6. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

This website and you all. I've had reptiles all my life but didn't know how to really care for them before I found you.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine would have undoubtably been the late Bob Jenni. When I was a child he was the curator of reptiles at our Zoo. There was a Saturday morning kids program where he frequently brought reptiles and other animals out for the show. The one that stuck with me was a huge python named "Molly". Very impressive animal!
    And when he was at the zoo he was quite willing to talk to children and did it in a manner that embodied patience. He was never snotty or impatient with kids and was one of the friendliest adults my young self had ever met.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have always been interested, but I think what accelerated it for me was a job I took the summer I graduated from High School. It was a job at a nature center, and 2 of the counselors were herpetologists. I guess I showed enough interest, because they got me involved in a few surveys of turtle populations. I had my first turtle well before then (he's 16 this year) and in my reading and research for the surveys stumbled upon a picture of a BRB in a book, and promptly fell in love.

9. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Great question! Mine would have to be my brother. :)

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Before Steve Irwin I thought all crocodiles, alligators, venomus snakes etc should be killed on site! His love for all animals helped with mine!
    My first herp influance came from my big brother, and me being a Tom boy! lol We would catch frogs and garder snakes :) I remeber one spring we caught over 100 teeny tiny little frogs :) We had a kiddy swimming pool that we use to put the frogs and tadpoles in outside, we proped up one end and added some shade. Every morning all the frogs where gone! lol