This Disappears When Logged In

Young researcher on the trail of herbal snakebite antidote

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A Ph.D. student has drawn on nature's own pharmacy to help improve the treatment of snakebites in Africa. I8_hzcVaFXQ.gif

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Young researcher on the trail of herbal snakebite antidote?

Attached Files:

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

That would be amazing! It would make treatment so much less expensive and easier to obtain

3. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Thank you for sharing. I have a lot of doubts about how far it will go. I'm no expert on the subject by any means but I would think Pharmaceutical companies would be very upset about herbal remedies becoming common knowledge if there are any that exist

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

It would make treatment much more effective!!! I've heard CroFab doesn't work very reliably. :(

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In the areas where this is most needed I don't think the companies would even pay any attention. Large areas of Africa are poor and they don't have access to chemical treatments anyway.

6. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Very true. I would love to see this come to fruition I just have doubts

7. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

meh. herbal treatment of anything is not going to be as good as tested-and-customized drugs made by pharmaceutical companies specifically to treat whatever you are treating. beyond basic things like painkillers and psychoactive chemicals, there is really not much to use herbal medicine for, especially with complex things like cancer, snakebites, vaccination, etc. there are uses for herbal medicine, just not usually in life-saving context.

8. Merlin

Actually you might be surprised.
    The drug companies have gone to great lengths to make people think that way,... so they can empty your pockets. Even to the point of having natural holistic remedies and the people who despense them made illegal!
    You have to remember that people have been using herbal medicines long before there even were drug companies.

9. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i'm just going off what i know. and while herbal medicine was all we had for a while, until modern medicine came about the life expectancy averaged in the forties (Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), whereas now it averages 67 years old, around 80 where modern medicine is widely available.

just some info i've gathered :)

10. Merlin

Thats all well and good but does not negate the fact that herbal remedies can work. I have used herbal remedies for years to treat a number of ailments.
    Consider, Acupuncture was poo poo'd by modern medicine for many years. Now there are medical doctors using it to treat everything from humans to horses.
    There are a lot of things that were used by the old ones that were put down by modern medicine because it cut into THEIR bank accounts.
    If you can treat something by a simple plant, you don't have to empty your wallet going to the doctor or the pharmaceutical companies.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I use herbal treatment for a number of things, with no nasty side effects, no empty wallet and without the worry of "whats actually going into my body"
    And Skelly, improved hygiene, shelter and easier access to food play a big role in why we live longer today, it's not all about medications.
    All that out of the way it would be amazing if an herbal remedy for a snakebite were available! It would be safer for humans (less risk of an allergic reaction) and more accessible to all!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

the whole life expectancy thing is also a crooked picture. Life expectancy is the expected lifespan of any person born within a demographic group. If you happen to live in an area with high infant/childhood mortality, your life expectancy is going to come out with a low number. The way life expectancy is calculated is to add the number of years each person lives, and divide it by number of people. If you have a sample population of 100 people (50 adults, 50 children) where all the adults live to be 100, but half of the children die in infancy, your "life expectancy" for that population is going to be 75 years.... not the 100 that is so typical. Reductions in infant mortality contribute largely to "life expectancy" calculations. Many cultures did not name their children before their 2nd birthday, because they weren't expected to survive that far with any frequency. Life expectancy is not the same as "average lifespan". A population with a low life expectancy (say 40) is suffering from a high rate of infant mortality. Those people that survive infancy would generally live pretty normal lives - into their 70's, frequently, with the same regularity you and I do today - naturally, some will die in their forties, and some will live well past 70.

Herbal medicines do work, to a degree (as in: do your research.), Natural/herbal remedies frequently result in what you like to think of as 'modern medicine'. Without plants, none of the following would exist: aspirin (pain relief, heart attack prevention - from willow trees), quinine (Cure for malaria - from cinchona) Digoxin/digitalis (treatment of heart conditions - derived from foxglove), Senna (for constipation) Morphine and all related drugs (for pain - derived from poppies) Novocaine and all related drugs (also for pain - derived from coca) Not to mention the camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol we find so soothing during a common, but very miserable cold. Also caffeine - a stimulant many people would NOT function without.

Just a little info ;)