This Disappears When Logged In

young mediterranean gecko won't eat

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by janetk, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janetk

janetk Member

I found a young mediterranean gecko at work, and took it home for the kids to see. The original plan was to release it, but after my son researched it on the internet, we found it was a mediterranean gecko, and since we live in the country, they are not found out here. We were afraid it would end up as food for the local box turtle or rat snake population, so decided to keep it as a pet. We bought a terranium and other supplies at petco, and purchased some small crickets and small mealworms. The problem is it doesn't want to eat. It appeared to be "stalking" the crickets some last night, but none were gone this morning. We removed the crickets from the habitat this morning, as we read they may "nibble" at the lizard when they get hungry. Since he is a nocturnal lizard, we thought we would return them to his home tonight. Are we doing something wrong? Or is he just taking time to adjust to his new home? We are afraid that since he is so tiny, we may be feeding him the wrong food, although these are tiny crickets. I did see they were selling small flightless fruit flies as well, would that be a better choice? Also, we read that these geckos don't eat fruit and veggies, and that we should feed them "gut loaded" crickets, so we are feeding the crickets accordingly. Should we put some fruit and veggies in his dish to see if he will eat them? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. My son just loves this little lizard, "Raul", and we would hate to see him starve!

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i don't know much about them but i do know that anything in a new environment is going to take some time to get used to it. about a week. during this time they don't really want to eat because they're already stressed being in a new place. i'm sure someone else will be along to help you. good luck. :)

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to the HC, as DM stated its gonna take him a while to get used to his new surroundings, so give him a week or so to adjust. When you get the chance post some pics!

4. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Geckos can be touchy. If it's too hot they won't eat, if they are in a new environment they won't always eat. Just keep trying, try different foods...geckos seem partial to the color red in baby foods; apple raspberry or apple blueberry.

5. janetk

janetk Member

thanks

Thank you, I will try some baby food and see what happens. I read that if you put some on their mouth they will lick it off, but he is so skittish, I don't want him to be overly afraid of me. Here is a picture of our little guy, Raul.

[​IMG]

6. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

All house geckos are evil. I wouldn't give him even an inch to escape.

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What a cutie

8. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to Hc Network Janet! Glad you found us and thanks for the pic of your little guy. From what I hear, they arent native to Texas, but so many have escaped, that there is a population growing there now....Good luck...

9. janetk

janetk Member

Yes, I guess they are imports from India, from what I've read. They are found all over in populated areas now, apparantely as far north as Lawrence Kansas! However, we never see them out here in the rural areas. He finally ate one of the crickets, or so it seems since it is missing! Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for all the help!

10. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Janet, just a question: You called it a mediterranean gecko, which it is, but state that it is from India. Since when is the mediterranean in India?

Keep on sluggin away, from what I know house geckos LOVE baby food...make sure it's just mushed fruit and water, maybe some citric acid for preserative.

11. janetk

janetk Member

i agree

I agree with you, but I didn't name it, I just read about it. The website I found said they hitched rides from India, Israel, etc. But for some reason they are called Mediterranean Geckos. I have no idea why. Just one of those things I guess. Maybe they are found in the Mediterranean as well?

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Just as Canada geese can be found elsewhere from Canada, Texas blonde tarantulas can be found outside Texas, and Caribbean reef sharks exist away from the Caribbean, Mediterranean house geckos live in places aside from the Mediterranean (to include India) ;) They also go by the name Turkish house gecko, and as that and their scientific name (Hemidactylus turcicus) implies, they are also found in Turkey, which is in the Mediterranean.

As for this gecko. Be sure you have all of the correct habitat requirements he'll need, and be sure to leave him be, and he'll come around eventually. If not, he should fair well on his ow in the wild.

13. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

India is a bit of a longshot from the mediterranian, don't you agree? Isn't that similar to saying "Hey, it's found in Washington state, can't it be found in Boston?"

Since the common name implies Turkey and Turkey is ON THE MEDITERRANEAN, I'd say that's cool with the scientific name...but dude, India? Anyways....

14. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Haha, they get their name from the fact that they're native to the Mediterranean, but they could just as well have been named the "Indian gecko", because they're found there as well ;) They're actually found from Europe, to northern Africa, to the Middle East, to India. They're also introduced to the Caribbean, the southern US, and parts of Central and South America.

15. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Taken from This site
    "The natural range of the Mediterranean gecko covers, as the name implies, Mediterranean areas of the Old World, from India through western Asia into the Middle East, and along both the southern and northern shores of the Mediterranean Sea."

Cute little gecko, good luck with him and make sure you give him time to adjust!

16. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

with it's evil cuteness

17. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Stupid wide ranged animals. Why must the be so successful!!!

Is it eating yet?

18. janetk

janetk Member

I gave him a tiny bit of apple-plum baby food, and he seems to like it. He didn't eat much, but he is tiny, so I guess it was enough for him. I'm hoping he'll get interested in the crickets soon, I bought quite a few, and they'll get too big for him before long. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted on his progress.

19. janetk

janetk Member

Okay, he is eating now, thankfully. One of his crickets jumped in the baby food, and he immediately ate it, I guess he liked it dipped in apple plum sauce first, lol. Now he is eating the crickets and seems to be adjusting quite well. Thanks for all the advice everyone!! :)

20. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hi janetk,

Welcome to Herp Center! I agree, give it time and it will eat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.