This Disappears When Logged In

young iguana/injured foot

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Bill64, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill64

Bill64 Active Member

We have two iguanas one is 3 the other is 1, the young iguana seems to have a broken front right foot. They both get enoughh calcium and uv light. Had problems with the older one a couple of years back. She was eating only the fruit and leaving the greens. The older one has been to the vet several times since then $$$ being treated for weak and broken bones. We are on top of both of their diets and light requirements.
    My question is should I just let it heal? Or should she be rushed to the vet?
    She eats alot and tries to run around, but is not useing the front right foot.

:confused:

2. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

If you have to question the need for a vet, then you NEED a vet. What is your UVB source and diet, exactly?

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

A vet trip sounds about right to me. BTW, welcome to the HCN. We are glad to have you. Good luck with your iggy

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I concur, a trip to the vet will help you clear up any doubts. Have you figured out how it may have hurt its foot and remedied the problem yet? Iguanas are strong resilient creatures and when they are healthy they do not ingure easily.

What is the housing situation like on the injured iguana?

5. Bill64

Bill64 Active Member

Im not sure how it was injured. The igs have the run of the house they mostly stay on the little jungle of plants and sticks I made for them. Sometimes they wonder around the house.The little one may have been hurt
    on one of her adventures.
    The lights I use are 16" Florescent lights from the pet store. I forget the exact #s of uv but I do remember them being the highest that they carried. The igs spend most of their time laying under the lights.
    Their diet consist mainly of greens. Brocoli rabe, kale, dandelion greens, and they love cilantro. Sometimes we mix in squash or other fruit for a treat.
    Our vet comes highly recommended. But with the older ig when she was deficient in calcium. He just gave her a few shots gave us drops to give her and said no climbing for at least a few months. She has improved greatly her legs are no longer hard but she still kind of drags her self around a little on hard floors. I will take the little one to the vet. Im just afraid he is going to say it is broken and do mostly nothing and send her home to heal.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the help. What a great site. If only they had websites like this for everything in life!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your ig's diet needs a serious overhaul! Most of what you listed are for occassional feedings only not on a day to dsay basis..
    The bulk of their diet should be collard, mustard and turnip greens with additions for variety. Please check out our diet page.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=6822

7. Bill64

Bill64 Active Member

Thanks Merlin,

I checked the diet page and it looks to me like I am following it. Im confused because you said their diets need a serious overhaul. They get a large variety of greens they are partial to dandelion greens and broccoli rabe (leaves)

as a treat they occasionally get other vegi and fruits.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What I meant is that broccoli and other cabbages are something that are fed once in a while. I took your post to mean that it was an everyday feeding. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

9. Bill64

Bill64 Active Member

Yeah perhaps I was not clear. But also perhaps they are getting to much of the kale and broccoli rabe. They do eat alot of dandelion greens.

There are a lot of lists of the ideal food floating around. Most of them conflict with one another.

I was under the impression that kale and those other types of greens were almost identical to collards and mustard type greens in regards to their vitamin content. I understand spinach and som other leafy greens are watery fiber. But I know broccoli rabe (not broccoli) has a higher calcium and vitamin content then collards.

The older iguana we aquired with swollen limp hind legs. She seems to be doing fine now. But she still kind of drags herself around. I wonder if permanent damage has been done. I dont think the little one has a calcium problem however I do think her foot is broken.

I have her isolated in a tank so no further injury can take place. She is eating fine. Just that her front right foot is limp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.