This Disappears When Logged In

Young Gtp's in Display Cages

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by jezza, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jezza

jezza New Member

Hey guys I'm just wondering if its possible to keep hatchling green tree pythons in display cages as opposed to click clack or plastic tubs. Everywhere I read suggests to use these plastic tubs but if I don't have to do it to keep a GTP successfully, I want to have it in a nice furnished display. The other reason is that I'd much prefer a proper enclosure as it can be securely locked as opposed to a plastic tub. I have kept reptiles for a few years but have always kept hatchlings in tubs and never tried so some suggestions from experienced keepers would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

thanks, Jezza

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't see any reason you couldn't keep them in a nice display cage. As long as it's adequate to house the animal, there is no good reason not to do it if that's what you want.

Many people opt for tubs simply because they take up less space, and are very economical.

3. jezza

jezza New Member

Thankyou for the quick reply. The presumption of mine was that it would be ok providing I have the heating/humidity right for the species - just thought maybe GTP's are more susceptible to stress or something which is why I allways see them suggested to be housed in plastic tubs which have little/no visability. I live in Australia so they are particularly expensive so I want to be sure before I make the plunge.

4. jezza

jezza New Member

Would still appreciate any opinions/tips?

Thanks, jezza

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The plastic tubs make very easy to maintain the high humidity they like, but if you can make a nice display cage that meets all their needs, by all means, go for it.

I do not personally own a GTP (yet), so I can't offer specifics. I'm sure someone will come along shortly who can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.