This Disappears When Logged In

You Win-info on Roaches

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Frognut, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Hahaha! I totally got busted today but only because he caught me delivering the veggies! I said, "They are for the FRC's" to which he replied, "Those scorpions need a special kind of cricket!?" I thought I'd let him take a look and assure him they are for the geckos so Jonathan doesn't get blamed:eek:. "Those are cockroaches! I have cockroaches in my house?!" "They are dubias! Aren't they cute?" I couldn't make eye contact when saying this of course;)! The upside is, I haven't been able to locate anyone with free egg crates but one of his restaurant accounts may have them. :cool:

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Will the roaches be the main staple? And are you going to want to start feeding out of the colony right away?

3. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

Yes the roaches will be the main staple, and I would probably start feeding from them in a month.

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I started with 500 + 10 breeding adults. I have what seems like TONS running around in the tote - and most are too big for my critters. But I keep getting more smaller ones everytime I go looking. (I'm only feeding two geckos and 4 tree frogs -- small time mouths)

I can't comment on how much a monitor would eat - so you might want to start with a bigger colony.

If Steve can't help you out:eek::rolleyes::p, call Casey - he probably has a good idea where to begin. And if you order soon, they can be on the way to breeding a healthy colony in a month!

5. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

He is still really small he is eating 1/4 inch crickets right now so it will be a little bit before he can eat the big ones, but he does have a big appetite.

6. Frognut

And after that, he is willing to get you egg crates?? hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha --that is SOOOO funny! Sorry, Kelly - I can't help myself! "Aren't they cute!" What was that?? I would give ANYTHING to have seen the look on his face when you said that!!!

btw, I get my egg crates from Waffle House, they go through about 20+ a day, so I walk in any day and ask. They are happy to oblige~

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ya, I think 500 should be a good starter. Give the colony a month or 2 to get established and you should be good to go as long as you keep them hot and well fed/watered. You could feed lightly out of it while it's establishing but you want to keep a 1/3 male/female ratio so only feed the males(and not a ton of them) You want the female nymphs to grow up and start breeding and that's when the colony will take off. I'll try and get pics of the differences sometime this week.

(P.S. I'll PM you Casey's email, he's the best I've found to get from)

8. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

My goodness, Steve, do you use enough emoticons?!? ;):)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have a little fun with them every now and again ;)

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

what do you guys use for heat? UTH?

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I spoke with a few keepers at work today, and they said they would be happy to collect me some palmetto bugs - so tomorrow, I'm going to drop off some jars with a little food in them and collect them once a week. With any luck, I'll have enough to start breeding in a month or three. And the best part is, all the insect eating creatures I have eat all different sizes, so if I cant feed out the small ones fast enough, the fish and dragon will take the big ones. Small ones for the gecko and tree frog.

12. LovetheBaruu

UTH separated from the plastic by glass.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes and Yes. And what I did is used an old picture frame glass just a little bigger than the heater that I got from a thrift store. I have my tote sitting 1 inch above the heater with no thermostat and my temps run around 93F

14. Frognut

Mine is not that hot -- only about 85ºf, but I don't want them to breed as fast. Although, they are doing quite well at this temp...

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I've taken the heat away from them for a week or 2, colony is getting to big for just Buddy (I have a 2nd colony of Turkish I also feed from) and they are still breeding just not as fast and my temps for the last week have been around 75F. Don't know if the Turkish are breeding but I don't care about them as they were bought just as feeders until the dubias got established.

16. LovetheBaruu

Got 25 egg crates from Bob Evans~ Thanks for the tip Steph!!

17. Frognut

Yup, just go where they make eggs!!! :)

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

ok, so these palmetto bugs can climb straight up glass, plastic, packing tape, etc, no problems. They can fly too, sometimes, but they seem to not want to do that very often.

19. Frognut

Oh, boy -- that sounds like a serious containment problem in the making. Good thing they are native, so when the get out it's ok!!

I think you need to move so you can get dubia's - it's as good a reason as any...:p

So here is what I found about sexing the roaches - but upon closer reading of the section -- it may not entirely apply to the dubia's. We'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Blaptica dubia adults can be easily sexed as the males have long flying wings whereas the females have only small outer wings. The
    other roaches covered here can be most reliably sexed by viewing the ventral surface of the abdomen. The last abdominal segment [sternite] of the female is broader than the other segments, whereas it is the narrowest in the male. That is, turn a roach over and look at the underside of its abdomen – there are a number of segments. Look at the last one, the “rear end” – in a female it is much wider than the rest of the segments and in a male it is narrower.

This came from Michael Jacobi – www.SpiderShoppe.com – ©2004

He also more highly recommended the use of substrate as it eliminates the need to change the tub as frequently -- but as I compared his sheet to our care sheet, it really depends on the substrate used.

I do have one question, one of the substrates he recommended was vermiculite -- is there any problem heating vermiculite? I have easy access to that stuff,and it is relatively cheap (compared to the wood chips he uses.) so I don't mind dumping it when I change the tubs.

here is what he says about substrate:
    -------------
    Potential substrate choices include Beta Chips® hardwood chips, aspen shavings, vermiculite, soil and fallen leaves. Some keepers who wish to have very clean cages use no substrate at all. However, I recommend against this practice as substrate provides shelter and some degree of protection from desiccation. Some substrates, especially decaying leaves, will also provide food when necessary. I personally use Beta Chips®, which are heat treated small hardwood chips used for mammals housed in a laboratory, zoological park or
    commercial breeding operation.

This contradicts our care sheet which doesn't recommend substrate because some of them will grow mold and icky stuff which is not good.

Here is our caresheet: http://www.herpcenter.com/breeding-f...ica-dubia.html

Thanks Rich for the link -- I apparently am technically challenged and couldn't find it.

So now I'm interested in your thoughts about the substrate or not...

20. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm still interested in some of those large ones your guys can't eat. Sounds like a good trade for a full toad setup.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.