This Disappears When Logged In

You Win-info on Roaches

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Frognut, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Just look at it this way Steph, you only have to do that once every month or two [​IMG]

Ya, I go threw a LOT of fresh veggies too but i'll skip a day here and there so they will eat the dry. Usually if I put veggies in they are gone by the next day(or they could be gone in minutes but I rarely check on them after I put veggies in so not sure)

2. TheRoachRanch

TheRoachRanch Elite Member

I wouldn't mess around in the frass too much without wearing rubber gloves. Roach Frass containes allergens and SOMETIMES prolonged exposure to it can actually make you become allergic. Handling roaches ect. is fine but digging around in the Frass constantly can possibly lead to problems down the road.

-Ian

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ian, I don't think Steph is "digging" around in the poop. What I think she is saying is when she cleans the enclosure she moves the colony to another one(just like I do) and there are always some that are on the bottom after all the egg flats are moved and that's what she is grabbing. What I do is just keep rotating the enclosure on an angle and the poop goes one way and the roaches usually stay in place, then I can just pick them up(sometime I have to use a piece of paper to get the littlest ones)

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, I do try to stay away from that stuff - Now THAT is ICKY! But I do appreciate the warning!

After I get the easy ones, usually the larger ones - I tackled the rest with tongs. Nudged them to the 'clean' side and scooped them out.

It was a pain, but it's really the little ones I need -- all my critters eat the smaller ones. Some of the big ones are bigger than my frogs!!!:eek:

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ya, with 2 colonies going I have a ton of big dubias that will never get eaten(because Buddy is the only pet I have atm and he gets 1 day dubia and 1 day turkish) but I look at it this way...when I get to many I'll put the adults in a new enclosure and keep the nymphs in a separate one and maybe I'll start selling them to herp owners around here or I'll talk to one of the pet stores in the area that used to have hisser feeders and see if they want to buy some.

6. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I talked to the wife and was honest about them being roaches. She has become quite attached to Smaug, she loves watching him eat and bask, so when I went with the "they are way more nutritious than crickets" approach and... she loved the idea, so long as it is better for the dragon. I'll be ordering my breeding colony on Friday!

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Good deal!!!! Where are you getting them? I think I gave you Casey's email correct?(sorry I can't remember :eek:) If I haven't then shoot me a PM he is the cheapest I've found and I (and I believe Steph aka. Frognut) are VERY happy with our orders.

8. Dragonscalestudios

Yes, I will be using your contact to purchase my dubias.

BTW how is dubia pronounced? I thought it was doobeeah but the lady at my local herp shop said it was dubai, like the city.

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

The spelling is different DUBIA roach and DUBAI city. So in my most educated guess (since I couldn't find a pronunciation for dubia anywhere) is Doobeeah. With the last 2 letters reversed it give it a totally different pronunciation so you are right and she is wrong :D (at least until it's proven it's pronounced different ;))

(I found a definition on a garden site for dubia philodendrons and this it the way it's pronounced...dyoo'bee uh)

10. Frognut

Yes I'm thrilled with the purchase process with Casey - he was wonderful. And I spoke with him on the phone and pronounced it "doobeeah", and he didn't correct me. So I'm going with that one!

Glad you 'came clean' on the roaches -- you didn't have to resort to the Sneaky Snake method and call them Flat Rock Crickets....

not pointing any fingers... glancing surreptitiously in the direction of Michigan :rolleyes::p

11. Dragonscalestudios

yah, granted the wife isnt thrilled about roaches, but she said anything to benefit Smaug is acceptable to her.

12. Frognut

But if you called them Flat Rock Crickets, and she found out -- you'd be in the dog house BIG TIME!!

And hey, if it's to benefit Smaug -- so be it! What ever works!!! Let us know how you like them when you get them!

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

And if you have any questions just ask. Steph is a pro at roach breeding [​IMG]

14. Dragonscalestudios

15. Frognut

Of course I'm I pro! Feed daily, keep warm & relatively dark and switch to a poop free tote every few weeks!

Sheesh -- I doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out!! I mean , they eat, poop and breed! They are roaches!!!!!!:rolleyes::p

You're just jealous because I can now chime in and give my 2 cents on roaches -- and you can't corner the market on 'knowledge! HA~

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    you know...I never thought of it that way until you said that, Thanks [​IMG]!!!! Now I don't HAVE to field all the roach question and can let you answer from now on [​IMG]

17. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

Alright I am going to be starting a roach colony really soon, and I was wondering how many would I need to start my colony off?

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You people make me jealous. I sit here in cockroach envy.

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It all depends on how many mouths you have to feed

20. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

It would be for a savannah monitor, he is just a baby right now about 6 inches long, but that will change quicky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.