This Disappears When Logged In

You Win-info on Roaches

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Frognut, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

(SIGH) Okay - with all the pressure I'm starting to cave -maybe (and somehow will find a way to take you with me, Kir....:p)

Dubia's -- I read the threads about breeding them: keep the temps up to 85º-90º. If I buy a supply, will they just keep breeding and thus have a continual supply of food?

I saw Steve's pics of his set up -- with the rubbermaid like tote, vertical egg crates and two containers of.. something?!?

What do they eat? I think I remember I can keep them on things like carrots and potatoes (?) Can they have the cricket drink? (water jello-like substance?) What about calcium, can that be added to their diet directly or will it kill them like crickets?

Do they jump or fly? If I had them in a rubbermaid tote, would they get out when I lifted the lid?

Care and cleaning? I know with crickets, they were messy and smelly. I had to remove the piles of cricket poop all the time (and of course chase the few that managed to hop out). So what about these Dubia's?

That's all I can think of at the moment. If they are that good for the gecko's, the least I can do is look into them. BUT NO PROMISES!!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes, as long as you let the colony get established you will never run out of them even if you feed 10-20 per day
    There is actually 3 dishes, 1 has the dry food, 1 has the fresh veggies, and 1 has the water crystals. They can NOT have calcium, it will kill them. You can buy the water crystals all over, I bought mine from the same place I got my 1st colony of roaches because I got a good deal (I bought 1 pound and I won't run out of them this year;)) As for what they eat, they can eat anything, since my CWD won't eat fruits and veggies I feed the roaches what I would like Buddy to eat so they transfer the nutrition to him, and the dry food I bought from where I got the roaches so not sure whats in it but he feeds it to his roaches and I trust him(have corresponded a lot with him), the care sheet says dry cat food, dry dog food, sweet kids cereals, things like that.
    No, Dubia's are a non-climbing, non-flying roach. As long as the tote has smooth sides there is no danger of escape. And if you are worried about it just put a 2-4 inch strip of vaseline, or use packing tape, around the top.
    Dubia's have no odor and you don't need to clean the enclosure very often. Most breeders say about every 3 months but I do mine once a month(I use a separate tote and just transfer the colony to the clean tote and then I just dump the poop(it doesn't stick to stuff unless you squish it;)) and spilled dry food in the trash, wipe down with a damp rag and put on a shelf for the next time I need to clean)
    Roaches have a better shell to meat ratio than crickets and have more nutritional value also. Anything else you need to know just ask and I'll do my best to answer you :)

4. Frognut

How do you heat your plastic tote(s)? I would think an UTH would not be good against the plastic...

And how many should I get to start a colony? I only have two Gecko's (at the moment:eek:), so, provided they eat them - I'm guessing about 10 each per week, as I'll still be mixing with superworms. (Unless they decide they like roaches only!). Or is that too many to expect them to eat?

Since I can't get either of them to eat much lately, anything will be better than nothing. But Gretchen used to eat 2-3 supers a night, and Hannah ate 1-2 a night.

Where do I get them? Any on-line stores you recommend?

I still can't believe I'm going to try this -- I work for a pest control company for pete's sake -- we KILL roaches!

If I get this started and they totally gross me out, I'm driving them down to Kir!:D (That will teach him for throwing me to the wolves!) muhahahaha!

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Uh-huh. I know a great exterminator:D. Good luck and let us know how it goes. If they really aren't smelly I may convert too:eek:;).

6. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Yay! I'm glad you're considering! I would start a colony too but, alas, my parents won't let me.:(

7. Frognut

Oh, sure --- put the pressure on ME, when you can't have them yourself!:rolleyes::p

I haven't even brought up the idea to my husband -- that should be fun!:eek:

But - another question... can you leave them in a dish in the tank, like superworms? Or do I need to offer them and take out the ones that don't get eaten, like crickets?

Thanks! (I think)

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Slow down Steph LOL I'm working on the answers ;)

9. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Probably just like crickets. And I would love some but I'm lucky to even have a Leo the way my dad is, let alone 100+ roaches in the house! Of course! I absolutely LOVE pressuring people! It's just so darn fun! ;)

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I attached an UTH to an old picture frame glass and it works great. I do have the tote 1" above the UTH and my temps run 93-100F(I don't have it on a thermostat) So if you attach it to the glass and use a thermostat and raise it 1/4" you'll be fine(and i'd keep them at 90F+)
    It all depends, Buddy eats about 10 a day and I have about 1500 in my colony. I would think 500 would be ok to start a colony if you only expect to use 20 a week, you can always get more if that isn't enough to;)
    I have a few I'll give you(I've posted them in other threads, and I need to get a hold of the guy I just got the new shipment from and make sure it's ok to give you his email address (he has a GREAT deal on them, WAY cheaper than anywhere else I've found but he doesn't have a web page, he just posts on the classified of another forum)
    Kir is female not male :p:p
    Dubia's don't have ANY odor i've been able to smell;)

Ok, on to the next post :p;)

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can leave them in a dish, this is what I use for right now...

you just need to make sure it has smooth sides and is deep enough that they can't reach the top of it (but even if they got out they'd just hide or burrow in the substrate if you have any, they will NOT nibble on your gecko's like crickets would)

Attached Files:

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Please note that they can escape Rubbermaid containers.
    I found three that had already before I put a mesh lid on top.
    I'm not sure if they climbed out or a short flight as they were all adult males that I found.
    Take extra precaution and cut out the lid of the container and attach some mesh.

Also I found that potatoes tend to rot too fast. I use carrots, apple slices and dry cat food.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd get dubias, but it's illegal to breed exotic cockroaches in Florida. I'm considering breeding some of the local species... The ones that CAN climb and fly. Wish me luck. At least if some get out, i won't be introducing a new species.

14. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

About the need for heat...Aren't these critters notorious for surviving anything? Or do they need the increased temperature to breed?

Dragoness- If you do come up short, let me just say, don't eat the Doritos that looked like they are burnt:eek:...If you see one, just close the bag and walk away...:rolleyes:

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

These are tropical roaches but they can survive temps as low as 65F, and, yes the temps are for them to be able to breed. If you ever want to slow breeding down just remove heat and they won't breed.
    Yes Mike, they can climb "ruff" containers, But, they can't climb "smooth" surfaces like glass(the container in the picture I use for feeding they can NOT climb). I have never had a problem with them climbing out of my imitation rubbermade tote from wal mart(they CAN climb it but they don't unless I'm in there messing with them). And an easy way to prevent escapes is to use a 2-4 inch strip of vasaline or packing tape around the top of the container(I have packing tape just as a precaution).
    I don't know because I change my veggies out every other day so there is always fresh in the enclosure(usually it's all gone by the time I go to change it, mine eat like horses;))

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Here is what I did with my UTH. Again, I don't use a thermostat and have my enclosure 1" above the heater.(I also have my enclosure in the spare bathrooms tub:D) But UTH's work great if you attach it to the glass and you won't ruin it or the tote doing it this way;) And you can use a thermostat and have it closer to the enclosure, I just chose to raise the enclosure instead of using a thermostat

Attached Files:

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

And here are a couple of the Dubia's "dirty" enclosure:D:D;)

And a couple of 1 trying to "escape";) Notice he will NOT cross the packing tape

Attached Files:

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

And just for fun here are a few of the Rusty red's and their enclosure :)

Attached Files:

19. Frognut

Ok, <deep breath> I can do this. One more question, I promise... (maybe)

Is the packing tape precaution double sided, so it's sticky on the outside? Or do I just run a layer of packing tape around the top? (I guess that IS two questions!):p

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It's just regular packing tape (not double sided) It's the slickness of it that prevents them from climbing it(their sticky feet can't grab ahold of it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.