This Disappears When Logged In

You Know You Have Too Many Reptiles When...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wyldrose, Apr 7, 2013.

1. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Good ol' herpcenter. A forum where addicts can encourage each other to be better addicts. I love it.

2. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

It's nice to know that Rage is being traded like a baseball card for lizards, one of which you don't even want. Is this bearded dragon "too mean" too?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ripkabird, you need to back off!
    NOW!
    You are still a youngster. You have no idea what it is to have children and the choices parents must make to keep them safe. Sometimes choices have to be made that you don't really want to make but when you have children you must put their needs first.
    Or you are a lousy parent!

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Are you serious right now? Seriously stop. Ive been nice until now. Stop patronizing me. I traded him to someone who has a lot of experience. I'm done with this. I know your still a kid, but When you grow up and have kids, you'll understand what I mean and why I am doing it. I got in over my head with his behavior and I'm admitting it.

Edit: thank you Merlin.

5. diehardislanders

I would venture to think it is in the animal's best interest to go to a place that a) really wants him b) is willing to work with him and c) has experience with his specific breed. Don't think we should give someone a hard time for doing what is both best for their reptile, and what they deem best for their kids.

6. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

I agree that kids should be kept safe, I'm not arguing that. But why can't she keep them separate? Exhausting all options should be done first. And, last I checked, here on a forum, I am allowed to criticize. I'm not name calling, cursing, or making sexual comments. Other people on here criticize all the time, even worse than me, but nothing is said. The mods even defend them.

7. Merlin

No you are trashing someone for having to make a choice to protect her children. That isn't your place to call!
    And you just keep on!
    Have you forgotten what happened last time you acted like this?

8. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

No, I haven't forgotten. But should I live in fear and sugar coat everything? When all options are exhausted, I get it. But I don't know why locks can't be tried, or talking to the kids (depending on age) about why to stay away. I'm not trashing. I'm stating my opinion.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I did exhaust all options. He is in my basement right now. My kids are 5 and 3. They do not nap. However, I can't just let them have full run of the house while I spend a few hours a day trying to tame him. My husband and I work different shifts. I get home at 2 to 4 am. He's asleep then. The other animals, we get out hold, clean cages, etc together. I can't do that with him because I'm trying to keep them seperate. Its not fair to him to not be interacted with, etc. He's fed at 6am before husband leaves for work. I tried in middle of night interact with him but he's sleeping. He's going to a experienced home who can take care of him. I'm not mad, but please stop acting like I'm exchanging my child.

Just because I'm excited about shows and the trade I'm getting doesn't mean I'm not sad I have to do this. I am. But, I'm not a pessimist and life goes on. Hope I better explained it to you now. I promise you will understand more when you have kids.

10. Merlin

You don't have to sugar coat things but you do have to keep it decent! Yes you are entitled to state your opinion, but what you have been doing is making rude comments and trash talking because YOU seem to think that you know everything about the situation. You do not! You do not know her and as such you have no idea what efforts she has made. This decision is hers and hers alone because SHE is the one who knows the complete situation.
    I am a parent and a grand parent and as much as I love all my pets, if they had posed a danger to my children, they would be GONE!

11. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Back to the original topic

You know you have too many reptiles when.....there isnt enough spots to list all the species I keep under the 'My Reptiles' tab on HC

12. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I have free spots...allow me to help you out with your crisis, and feel free to send any of your overflows my direction. :)

I would say you know you have too many reptiles (especially insectivores) when you start finding crickets everywhere BUT in their tub where they should be...on the walls, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, IN YOUR BED...fun times.

13. Merlin

Another way to tell!
    When you bring home a new one and noone can tell!

14. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Or...when your parents refuse to visit because "at any time, one of your many lizards could leap out of nowhere and try to eat my face!" Actually, maybe that's a good enough reason on it's own to have MORE reptiles? ;)

15. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You know you have too manny reptiles when everybody at the pet store knows you by name because they see you every thursday morning, (feeder delivery day)

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You know you have too many reptiles when the petstore workers in a city 3hrs away knows you by name and what animals you keep. Also when your vet gives you "fleet rate"

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

How about when you start doing minor rennovations on your house so you can make bigger cages fit?

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Done that-well actually did some major renovations. Actually thinking of turning the vacuum closet into a green tree python enclosure..because really who needs to vacuum?

19. diehardislanders

TJ. Those of us who have been around herpcenter for a while know you and how much you care for your animals, and the animals of others seeking help here. Please do not feel like you need to explain you actions to the community.

20. diehardislanders

Lol ok
    You know you have too many reptiles when your custom enclosures have custom enclosures inside of them.