This Disappears When Logged In

You Know Own and Love a Herp When...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midori, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I don't know if a 'game thread' is okay' but I was looking at my kimono message board and thinking about how cool it'd be to do this here because so many things I know herp owners think that normal people don't. I'll give a few examples. I'd love to know things everyone else thinks and does as an owner. Lets see how many things we can come up with. Just keep numbering things after my first 8.

1. When you wish soaps where NOT anti-bacterial, because it's not good for your herps.

2. You have your mother trained so well about this she will tell you when she can't touch your lizard because she just washed her hands with anti-bacterial soap.

3. You take her reptile/herp to the vet.

4. The vet every time you take your reptiles in says 'this is most likely the best cared for -fill in blank-' I've seen in along time. (True story, every time! Our vet goes on how well cared/healthy for my gecko is. )

5. When you think sushi dishes make good water/food dishes for you herp

6. Your always on the look out for possible decor for you Herps in non herp shops, I've found rocks and other things in gardening supply stores.

7. The dog is trained "not to chase the outside Mindy's" ( Mindy to the dog means 'lizard'. )

8. The dog loves your herp so much he freaks out more then the lizard does when it goes to the vet.

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

How about: Your wife/husband/significant other make you get stuff out of the freezer because mouse and rat sicles turn them off!

You have a separate freezer for rodents

The plastic canisters coffee comes on doubles as a hide or a humid hide for snakes or lizards.

Your vacation success is determined by the number of snakes or other cool reptiles you can fond in your yard outside the cabin (mine is fairly good...2 garter snakes and counting after just one day)!

More to come as I think of them.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

When you drive around the neighbourhood looking for things that others have thrown out, but can be used for reptiles!

When you go shopping, always looking for the perfect feeding dish that isn't too deep, but deep enough so Dubias can't escape!

4. volkert13b

volkert13b Well-Known Member

the dollar store has become your new supply pet store

you talk about your reptiles more than your own wife

you have turned the guest bedroom into your reptile room/work place

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

When your facebook has more pictures of snakes than of you or your friends.

When you run into someone you haven't seen since highschool and the first thing they ask is how are the snakes?

You have 5 dog bowls. 1 is actually used by a dog.

Your closet is full of random heat bulbs and climbing branches and bags of coconut husk.

6. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

when your boss is asking how your herp is (mine does everyday)

when you call your mom and she asks if your holding your herp while your talking with her and she asks you to please put it down (seriously mom? your 3000 miles away!)

7. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

When someone asks how you can love a reptile and you reply " They are more loving in nature than most people.
    When you are measuring your house to find out how many Vivariums can fit in one room.
    When you go shopping you start bringing something home for he/she every time.

Oh and Mld Check out the garden section of your local Wal-mart I found perfect shallow ceramic dishes that are too smooth for Dubias to climb and small enough for my baby to see into for food. ( I think they were made as saucers for plants.) :)

8. mld

Thats what I'm using now, they are glazed on the inside but they seem to stretch up to escape, I think they help each other by climbing on the others back!

9. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

When you go to the hobby store/hardware store enough for employees to ask how your herp is doing.

When other people are showing off pictures of their babies, you share pictures of your herps.

You find it seriously funny when fighting with your significant other and they say "you love that animal more than me!" and the only response is "yup, can't argue that."

Child proofing a room takes on a new meaning of making sure the door shuts behind you, cords are pulled off the floor, and there is no possible way for the herp to get under or into the furniture....

You insist on your hiking buddy to use a pine tree branch to scare/sweep the baby toads out of the walking path, and insist they do not deviate from the cleared path.

Almost forgot one::
    When the produce people at the organic market know you by name and ask about your bearded dragon by name. :D

10. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

When your looking for a hug/ snuggle buddy the first one you turn to is your herp!

When your neighbors ask when the next time will be when your going to take your snake for a walk.

When you drive 8+ hrs round trip for a 3 hour reptile expo and ohh and ahhh over all the pretty babies (non human LOL)

When having roaches is a good thing

When you already have plans to turn the kid's rooms into a reptile suite, before they even move out :D

11. volkert13b

you go to the local garden store and buy a bag of perlite and peat moss and they lady asks what types of plants you are plating..and you say "no plants...eggs"

12. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Missabrat, How do you know what I am thinking. :) (2 more years)

13. volkert13b

you refuse to pick up the dog **** in your house but have no problem cleaning all your reptile tubs

you own a "gecko crossing" sign

AND!

you spend more time preparing your reptiles dinner, then your own

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Because I have been waiting for 10 years LOL and one finally moved out!!! Guess what I am doing tomorrow LOL...now if I could just get the last one to move out...Oh the possibilities!!!

15. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

When owning something like a tokay gecko that tries to bite everytime you clean their tank etc becomes so common place that you have gloves you refer to as the tokay gecko tank cleaner gloves so that when they bite you just wait for them to get bored and let go.

when you walk around with a video camera all the time just waiting for one of your reptiles to do something awesome

16. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

LOL Lolita, that reminds me...When you keep an extra camera in the reptile room just in case you have a chance to get bite pictures!

When you tell everyone in the house they must use the downstairs bathroom because the upstairs is "occupied" for the snakes spa treatments

17. mld

It's a good thing you have two bathrooms:p

18. Jobiensis

Jobiensis Elite Member

When you mother in law freaks out because the bag of frozen prawns she has just got of the freezer turns out to be 200 pinkies (still laughing now lol)

19. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

LOL that has happened here a few times, I also hear the complaint that there is more frozen rodents than people food LOL

20. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

i get that one too or the garage is something out of fear factor cause it has roaches and rats in it