This Disappears When Logged In

You Guys and Gals Are Bad Influences!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ScreamSalvation, May 4, 2012.

1. ScreamSalvation

ScreamSalvation Active Member

Some of you may remember me from posting in General about a Mali Uromastyx that wasn't well cared for that I bought. He is doing great and seems to be living it up. He has developed a love of peas and will actually chase them across his enclosure if you drop one ( I'll have to try and get a video of it one day).

Well, the reptile bug definately bit me. I was at my work's downtown office this afternoon and said "What the heck, let me run by the pet store." So i get down there and they have several ball pythons. I look around and ask to see them and start asking what size mice they are eatting etc. They have clear eyes, no sores, active, etc.

Long story short, I had one wrap around my wrist and I left with a ball python. I just couldn't turn down that little snakey look that says "Hey... Take me out of here!"

I have him/her in a 20 long with locking screen lid. Basking spot is hovering at 91F (digital measurement) warm side hovering at 85F and unfortunately don't have a termo yet for the cool side and only a crappy hydrometer since they were out of stock. Hides on both the warm and cool side with a large water dish for drinking and soaking. He/she is approximately 18 to 20 inches.

The pet store said they were feeding pinkies still but pinkies seem awfully small to me. I'm trying to remember or find the recommended feeding sizes I have read. Going to go over the care sheet again even though I've read it over and over.

Also how do you guys and gals measure your snakes body width. I know it is at the widest part of the body but do you do it by circumference or diameter?

2. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Lol from the title I thought that this was going to be a rant or something... I believe the size of mouse to use is determined by it's widest point just measured across (not around) times 1 1/2. So for instance, if my baby corn was a 1/2 innch in the widest point, i would feed it 3/4 inch pinkies. I believe this is correct, but I'm not always right :)

3. ScreamSalvation

ScreamSalvation Active Member

I thought it was something like 1.5 times but couldn't be 100% sure. Pinkies are definately too small then. The little guy/girl sure isn't concerned about hiding, every inch of the enclosure is being explored.

I like to have interesting titles at times, make people wonder. Pics soon to follow.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

1.5 the width of the widest part is right. And I might add Congrats! on the new little guy, looking forward to some pics in the near future :) Trust me i understand about this site being a bad influence on me, just ask my wife :D

5. Komododragon12

Sweet, can't wait! Always wanted a ball python, went with a corn instead... a good choice either way. I'm fascinated by all the morphs that the balls have... I especially like the spiders.

6. Komododragon12

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep, that's the herp bug! There is no know cure that any of us know of but we love spreading it around. lol

Congrats and photos are overdue!

8. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

I have a Ball Python up for adoption, Wait, Wait, that is adding to us being a bad influence. Sorry........
    Umm photos are needed to fix our craving. lol