This Disappears When Logged In

You Centipede Keepers, Have You Ever Seen...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Critter Keeper, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's not the first S. subspinipes I've had, but recently I saw it do something that left my jaw hanging.

I shock folks sometimes when I tell them that my centipede eats mice (okay, pinkies or even a hopper), and one of my buddies wanted to witness feeding time.

The centipede is good-sized - about eight inches long - and I dropped a hopper in that seemed to agitate the pede. When the mouse would approach the pede's tail, the pede would thrash and head to the other side of the enclosure. The mouse apparently agitated the pede one time too many - I am not making this next part up - and suddenly grasped the mouse with the legs of the last inch or so of the pede's body, and then brought the mouse OVER the back to the head where envenomation, mastication, and consumption ensued.

Any other pede keepers out there ever see something like that? I'm curious, because I found it to be quite spectacular.

I appreciate any feedback.

CK

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: You centipede keepers... have you ever seen...

I dont keep pedes but man that sounds pretty awesome! Too bad you didnt get any pics!

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Re: You centipede keepers... have you ever seen...

Yeah, I've seen similar acts come from my centipedes. They'll use their terminal legs to clamp on to things, and often grab prey with any of their legs. They'll either bring the prey quickly to their head, or vice versa. They don't do it often, but I've seen it happen. Truly some of my favorite invertebrates to keep :D

4. KenTheBugGuy

KenTheBugGuy Member

I see that behavior with those exact same ones with even just crickets at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.