This Disappears When Logged In

You Can Call Me the Snake Whisperer

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by budhorse4, Sep 5, 2011.

1. budhorse4

budhorse4 Well-Known Member

So, I've posted quite a bit in the water dragon forum, but never here. Not sure why, but whatever.

Ok, I have a little 2 and a half, almost 3 year old ball python named Thea. I got her from a local exotic pet store when she was around 9 months and a little less then a foot long. Two years later she is pushing 3 feet in length. She literally does almost everything with me. I've taken her into school numerous times and everybody loves her, I've even taken her out to the Boys and Girls Club petting zoo this summer and was a HUGE hit with the kids. In these two years I had never had one problem with her escaping.

Until tonight. I had just gotten done feeding her. It was her usual medium rat frozen/thawed. Took it like a champ I might add. Then I got a text from my mom saying she was just getting off of work and we were going to the barn, so I should put on my barn clothes and get something to eat before we go. Long story short, an hour long trip to the barn turned into meeting up with friends to go to the local festival. I didn't get home until around 11:30 pm. I go to my room to get ready for bed and I go to turn off Herman's lights and say good night to my little critters. Then I notice Thea's lid is open and my little snakey is not in her tank.

Uh oh. I immediately shut my door so my two cats don't get interested in what I'm doing. I then check to make sure Herman is still in his tank (hey, better safe than sorry) when I find that he is ok and giving me the stink eye for turning his light off so late. I then grab a flashlight to begin my search. Thea's tank is sitting on top of an old wooden night stand with drawers that I keep all of my supplies in, so my first instinct is to check under there. So I get down on my hands and knees and I don't even get a chance to turn the flashlight on do I see a little snake head staring up at me with her tongue flicking up at me. I put the flashlight down and start calling her name and talking to her gently to try to lure her out of her hiding place. I really didn't think it would work, but I really didn't want to stick my hand in a dark place with a potentially scared snake.

Imagine my surprise when little miss Thea starts to come out of her hiding spot and toward me. So, I'm thinking "Ok, the python is responding to her name, not weird at all" Then she kinda just slithers on up to my lap and goes to her usual place when I have her out which is around my arm.

So, is my python some super genius snake that can understand my voice and listen to my commands? Probably not, I just sit and talk to her to get her out of her hide while I make Herman's "bug bowl" every day. She's probably assumed that my voice= attention and maybe food. But it is pretty funny when you think about a snake coming when called just like your average dog.

To cap off this ridiculously long post, I'm just glad that Thea is okay and currently pouting about her short lived freedom in her warm hide, and I have learned to double check lids before leaving the room. Though it would be cool to get my own TV show now. :D

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Well it is certainly possible that your python trusts you, and was coming out to see what you were doing and perhaps to be handled (its unsure currently whether snakes enjoy handling, or just tolerate it out of curiosity and trust) but unfortunately I gotta say snakes are completely deaf :( Snakes don't have ears, all they can feel are vibrations in the ground. So she may have felt you walking around and wanted to see what was going on.

But certainly good news she was ok!! It's such a gut wrenching feeling when a snake is missing, they can literally get themselves ANYWHERE. Glad you found her :)

Edit: Although I will say don't feel bad, I've always known snakes are deaf, and I talk to mine all the time lol. Maybe they can feel slight vibrations through my arms when I'm talking? I have no clue, I just like to talk to them lol.

3. budhorse4

budhorse4 Well-Known Member

Oh yea, I forgot about the whole snakes are deaf thing... Man I feel kina dumb XD Oh well, it made me laugh.

4. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yes I said they can feel vibrations in the ground. Perhaps I didn't state it properly, technically they can "hear" ground-borne vibrations as they do have an inner ear. But as far as hearing someone speaking to them through the air, snakes are deaf.

6. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Aha. Sorry. I kind of go into DEFCON 1 when I think I hear a common misconception.

7. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Well I'm glad you did haha I never knew exactly how they sensed vibrations. I knew they had an inner ear, but using their lower jaw bones to get stereo accuracy and location information about the vibration is pretty interesting!