This Disappears When Logged In

Yogurt?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Puffthewaterdragon, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In some of the pictures in Tricia power's site she has stated she has fed some of her dragons yogurt once in a while. Currently mine "Puff" isn't eating because it is sick. WOuld it be feasible to get it to eat the yogurt just to get some nutrition through it? It wouldn't be that difficult ... all I'd have to do is get it to open it's mouth and i can do that by rubbing my finger along it's snout. Is this a good idea? It would give it nutrition and i'm thinking possibly stimulate it's appetite! ADVICE!

Brian

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I think yogurt is used to kill any bacterial infection, and get them their appetite back, but it wont do no harm to give your dragon some especially if he isnt eating, natrual yogurt is good for things like that.

In what way is your water dragon sick?

3. It's got a respiratory infection and it would not eat. So i gave it a bit of yogurt. In one of the care sheets the lady gave it to hers on occasion so i tried it. i also got it to eat by getting it to open its mouth and sticking a meal worm in it and it worked so now i got it to eat i'm not too worried anymore. It's just getting it over it. I took it to the vet and it's had two antibiotic shots so i think it will be fine. It's just a matter of nusing it back to health now. I got it to eat so for what i've heard that's half the battle. It's tnk is bein held at 90 degrees for the next week and i'm letting it swim in the bathtub for an hour each day with temped 90 degree water. I changed the substrate and it's water is being cvhamged daily 3 times. Other than this it is doing well and more lively as the days go by. It has an infection of the eye caused by the infection but i've drawn the infection little by little by batting its closed eyes with a luke warm tea bag steapped in hot water. This draws any infection out. It's eyes are open moe often now and it's had a positive effect. I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the yogurt. BUt if you say its okand it helps to fight bacteria i'll continue to do it for the next week. MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THE EFFECT OF ANIMAL FAT (COWS MILK)?

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Hi Brian-

Umm, the Yogurt is used, similar to Iguanas, to replace the gut-flora in the creature. Many times, bad bacteria overtake the good kind and even more often, anti-biotics used to kill infections strip the gut of necessary flora.

The old-school thinking, and still valid, is to feed plain yogurt to replenish the gut-flora and re-start efficient digestion.

New school of thought is to use a Probiotic supplement weekly. Probiotics have been shown to successfully remove bad bacteria like Salmonella and over-power it with good, healthy gut flora. It has also been shown to increase appetite.

For more info look here: http://www.reptileuv.com/probiotics.htm.

5. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

Wish i could get my dragons to eat yogurt...Char walked from it, Fang ran into it, and Ike pooped in the yogurt... Their stubborn to new foods...

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Brian, I second the use of Dominick's probiotic idea. I have a foster ig that is recovering from mbd, after the starting her on probiotics she has put on about 25% more weight and looks great.

7. Keggo

Keggo Active Member

Can you fee Chameleons yogurt to regain their appetite??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.