This Disappears When Logged In

YIKES MITES in my Tokay tank>I NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Paige, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paige

Paige Elite Member

BAD NEWS for me! I noticed today I had dead leaves on the botton of a plant I have in the tank. (my tokay is ver pale looking =( CRAP) Plus, I have a crapload of the mits on a sponge I use to block off a hole in the fountain (to keep crickets from drowning so much) I am hoping my gecko is ok>I never had this before! I took the fountain and plants out...I am going to try to catch my gecko and put him in a holding bucket (I have a temp guage there, but no humidity guage) I will put a log in there with a lanp 9the log was not in his tank...it is an extra one I had)

QUESTIONS:

Do you think the mites are on my gecko? (spider mites I think)

How long is best to keep him in holding bucket (size of 10 gallon)~what is safe for him?

Will cleaning the tank get rid of the mites?

Will baking the logs and driftwood...everything but fountain and plants...make that safe?

I think that the rest of the plnats are ok. I wont put the plants back in until I am sure though.
    Is there anything else I could do? How will I know if the mites got to my tokay?

PLEASE HELP!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

If there are mites in the tank, EVERYTHING has them including your Tokay!

Removing mites in a multiple step process. I suggest you read the below links on how to get rid of the pests.

Even though the links are for different types of reptiles, the steps are identical as you will be dealing with the same pests!

Mites 1

Mites 2

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First you have to determine what you are dealing with.
    What are called "spider" mites or "red spider" that colonize plants, leave webs in the joints of the pants and little yellow spots on the leaves are not the same thing as reptile mites. One feeds on plant juices the other feeds on blood.
    Spider mites are a common problem with houseplants such as are in your tank, however these pose no threat to the lizard.
    Reptile mites are another matter. And to be safe lets work on the assumption that you are dealing with reptile mites.
    Take your gecko out and using a white damp paper towel wipe it down and see if you find mites. If you are seeing the tank itself infested with mites and find few or none on the gecko its probably the plant sucking variety you have.
    For safety sake I would still strip the tank and sterilize it using a 1 to 5 bleach and water solution (one part bleach 5 parts water.). Reassemble the tank with only bare minimum decor. Sheet of paper for substrate, water dish and hide. Nothing else. If you do in fact have reptile mites the plants have to go. There is no good way to thoroughly disinfect them that will not kill them. Putting the plants back in the tank will only start the problem all over again. Baking the wood and any stones you have at 250 for about 30 minutes should take care of those. But lets not put anything else in the tank till you are sure the infestation is dealt with. Mites are born pregnant and all it take s is one to start it all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.