This Disappears When Logged In

Yet Another Shedding Question (sigh)

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by kcftlaud08, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

A couple of weeks ago Roxy's eyes clouded up, cleared and then it was business as usual. She has since eaten a moderate amount (only 2 small rats, 1 large and fiddled with a jumbo which I had to throw out) Now her eyes have been cloudy for 3 days. She is not soaking but when I pet her I wet my hand. Her temps are average 81-85 on the warm side and 76-71 on the cool side. She has been hanging out on the cool side near her large water bowl. Is it too soon to be concerned or maybe she is shedding this time? Or considering it. Do their eyes cloud if they aren't shedding?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

She's getting ready to shed again. Growth rates can change due to many factors. I look at my herpcare software often (It tracks all sorts of information) and it surprises me with the fluctuations of sheds, weight gain, etc...

3. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

What is herpcare software? I looked at the care sheets and the RID center. Sorry, one day we'll have a party and you can all throw stones at me. :)

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

It's a reptile management program. It includes enclosures (size, type etc) species, feeding charts, weight, shedding records. I'll try and find the link for you. It is a free download. If you have multiple herps it really helps keeping track of them all.

5. bleachii

bleachii Active Member

I'm interested as well Kenman....good questions KC.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I have the feeling that a shed cycle is not too comfortable for snakes. (I imagine it must be like having the flu.) They tend to go somewhere safe, curl up and don't move much till it's over.
    Do not pet your snake (wet hands or not). Leave him alone and don't feed him again till after his shed. Just make sure he has plenty of fresh water and you can spray him lightly with water from a mister bottle twice a day.
    Otherwise, you just have to be patient. He will cloud up, then clear up and look completely new, but you'll wonder where the shed is. No he didn't eat it: he'll usually shed a few days later.
    Patience for you, peace and quiet and moisture for the snake...
    Good luck! :)

8. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

You're right. I suck at patience. Her eyes are not as cloudy though and she is being more active. No skin anywhere. I'm going to try to leave her alone but I don't want her to get un-used to be handled. Ok. I know that wasn't a real word, but you know what I mean. :)

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

It may seem like a long time for them to shed, but it really isn't. The less you think about it, the faster it seems to go. (its hard at first to do this lol) The timespan for a shed will not be so great that she will become "un-used" to being handled.

Just make sure when you do find the shed that the eye caps come off as well. :)

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The snake is not going to "go wild" in the short time it takes to shed!;)

11. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

OK. I'm listening. I have always been honest about my OCD. I'm leaving her alone. Argh!!! I did mist her. Dab nad it! Thank you guys. For getting me throught this. This is me being patient. :)

12. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I've found that my boa follows a pattern. She starts getting cloudy on a Friday. She is blue on Monday and the following Monday she has finished shedding. That's 11 days. Once she is finished shedding, she is ready to be handled and fed.

13. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Well, I have to thank you all on Roxy's behalf. After finally leaving her alone, I came home from work today and a great big, perfectly peeled, ball o' skin was in her tank. I took it out and the kids and I stretched it out and it looks like a nice perfect peel. I didn't see eyecaps but her eyes are clear and bright. I never saw her move. I never saw her soak. I guess I finally have a shy one in the family! I think I may be getting to know her. A lady doesn't like to be watched when scarfing down food or changing. Got it! :)

14. DarkMagician207

when a snake sheds you should always make sure the eyecaps are there in the shed. if the eyecaps do not come off with the shed it can cause problems in later sheds because they will build up shed after shed and possibly cause blindness in the snake.

soaking a snake in warmish water or putting them in a damp pillow case with damp towels when they go into the blue will help to soften up the shed as well from the humidity.

if you do ever notice that it seems that the eyecaps remained on the snake, do not try and remove them with tweezers or anything like that. you can really injure a snake that way.

glad to hear it seems to be in a perfect piece though. :)

15. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

As if I have to worry about sounding silly, what would the eye caps look like? I still have her skin and I can check it again. Actually, I will. Am I looking for a thicker layer where the eyes should be? If they didn't remove would her eyes still be cloudy after shedding?

16. DarkMagician207

its not silly, don't worry. snakes don't have eye lids, just eye caps.

the eye caps are kind of like a transparent "scale" that is over the eye. you don't see it when you're looking at your snake unless they go into the blue. i believe thats why they're eyes get cloudy, because they get ready to shed the eye cap as well.

if you look on the shed of the head, you will see the holes where the eyes are. you should also see that "scale". its like the covering of the eye. if you don't see the caps on the shed then they are probably still on the snake.

hope that helps :)

here is a link to a pic of a snake head shed. you can see the eye caps. this is what you're looking for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mischievouspie/161724637/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.