This Disappears When Logged In

Yet another newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GanjGirl, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GanjGirl

GanjGirl New Member

:p

Hi everyone
    I'm only just starting my "herp"education..as I plan to firstly convert/extend my 75 Gallon aquarium into a suitable tropical paradise ..and then aquire a lucky chinese water dragon(hopefully male) to thrive and live a long happy life.
    So lots of reading..I best get started..
    Talk soon
    GG xx

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Hi! welcome to HC! Good luck with your project!

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

welcome to HC! glad you joined. definitely read up and do your research. there's alot of info here on water dragons so you'll have plenty to read. :)

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Welcome to the HC Network!

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Welcome GG, hope you enjoy it here and find it useful.

7. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to HC Network.....enjoy yourself!!

8. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Hi GanjGirl,

Welcome to Herp Center! Make yourself at home and enjoy the site!

9. GanjGirl

GanjGirl New Member

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)
    Yes..I am aware that my initial setup will be temporary..and that would be my first question...how long before he outgrows the 75 gallon tank?
    Thanks
    xx

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HCN. Glad to have you with us. Growth rates vary on almost any reptile. Depending on their care. Often WD's they will reach 18 inches in the first year. So I wouldn't put too much work into the 75 gal enclosure.

11. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Hi, and welcome.

Kriminaal is right. He'll grow pretty fast. I'd recommend not spending a lot of time on the 75g. Instead, the real effort should go into building a nice large enclosure for him. Depending on how large the dragon is when you get him, you can maybe even skip the starter enclosure.

Also, just a suggestion, you may want to seek out a Water Dragon breeder (if you can find one), instead of buying him in a pet store. The Water dragons in the pet stores are guaranteed to be stressed out, and may be sick already when you get one. If you do buy one from a pet store, make sure he goes to a vet right away for a physical. That way if he is sick you could return him, or treat the illness before it gets out of hand. As a new herp owner, you may not know what signs to look for. (Or you may, I don't know how much experience you do have with them.)

I just wanted to thank you for coming here and doing some research on your water dragon before actually going to buy him. That's extremely admirable. Most people don't, and many end up either not caring for the animal properly. Your water dragon will be fortunate to get you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.