This Disappears When Logged In

Yet Another New Cage

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Dragoness, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Someone called me asking if I wanted their old iguana cage. Made of wood, etc etc. I asked them how big it was, and their response was "Big for an iguana" so I went to check it out, thinking maybe I could lay it on it's side, and use it for my future Savannah monitor.

I get there, and the cage is 3x2x1.5 ft, all wood, with a plex front, holes drilled everywhere, and only one door on top of the cage - front was nailed on.

It was only $20, so I took it anyways. My Milk Snake is due for an upgrade. It'll be good for him. I need to sand and vacuum the inside, seal it, and then use foam to create a background (and cover up the bajillion and one drill holes.) and it will be suitable. Maybe put some leftover linoleum tiles down over the sealant on the floor to make cleaning easier. Turn the front into a sliding opening. I was going to upgrade him soon anyways - now all I have to do is fix up the cage a little, and it will be ready for him.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Lucky girl! (Again!)

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like a lot of work!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's actually going pretty fast - I already fixed the floor. Going to cover the framework with fake trees - already pit forms up, and foamed them. Waiting for the foam to cure now. Then I can start carving and painting. I have everything I need to do this project already sitting around the house... much of the time will be spent waiting for things to dry or cure so I can move on to the next step.

5. DragonFamily

DragonFamily Elite Member

Must see pics!

You're not far from being a production line...lol.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

and I still can't keep up with it. I have fourteen hour workdays through Saturday. The earliest I could hope to work on it again would be Monday night. By then I'll be too exhausted, and it's irritating. I'm the kind of person who really doesn't like to pause on a project once I start. I like to work straight through, or at least consistently, until it is finished. This taking 4-5 days breaks from it.... it makes me a little crazy. Especially since I have only one work table - my kitchen table.

I promise I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, but that might be Monday too. I already put the tree forms in, and foamed them (back corners of the cage). Still deciding details for the back and side walls to cover up bazillion drill holes..

Gotta carve, texturize, and paint the foam, add the shelves, leaves, vines, branches, and other stuffs....

7. BellaBlue

BellaBlue Member

Sounds like you got a great deal on the cage. With a little work I am sure it will look awesome

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, still plugging away at it when I have the time. Almost done. It needs to air out (smells a little of silicone fumes - mostly acetic acid) and acrylic I used to seal it.

Here is the progress thus far:
    This is what I started with - a wooden box essentially. In this picture, I have already removed the Plexiglas front plate, and put in one of the wire forms which will eventually become a tree.
    10.20.09_015.jpg

Great Stuff is, well, GREAT. Made the trees, and added that branchy thing in the middle (came with the cage - one of those hollow doobers the pet shops charge an arm and a leg for.)
    10.20.09_022.jpg

Base coats of paint. The wood parts get sealed with acrylic later. The foam will get painted and covered with eco-earth.
    10.20.09_035.jpg

Wood is sealed, Trunks are covered with eco-earth.
    11.4.09.2_002.jpg

Added fake plants. Stuck a dab of silicone onto the stem of each one, and then poked it into the foam.
    11.4.09.2_010.jpg

Attached Files:

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I know it will look great, and when it`s finished you can start on the monitor enclosure, (busy hands make light work)!!

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You're getting really good at that great stuff creations.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Monitor enclosure will have to wait until the boa we are borrowing goes home. I can't fix or move the CWD cage until that boa is gone (he is occupying her future location) THEN I can start the monitor cage - which will go where the CWD is now. I hate setbacks, but I will have a monitor, dammit!

I was artsy once upon a time, I could sculpt and carve and paint, but then some looney doctor gave me a prescription... The end result being that I have scarcely doodled in years - but I seem to have retained some of the skill with 3-D media, at least I can make cages look nice.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve already sent a message to Father Christmas, you will DEFINITELY have a monitor, he promised me!! He`s bringing me everything I`ve ever wanted (I hope)!!

13. Dragoness,

Your skills are truly impressive. That will be a very lucky sav

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is an impressive oversight: The cage I just built is for my Jurassic Milk. I was intending to set it where his current cage is now (on a shelf, under my female Ball Python). For some odd reason, it never occurred to me to measure the cage and shelf.... I just kind of assumed it would fit. Nope... Four inches too long. No way around it either, and no other cages I can swap into that place.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A trip to the hardware (which was neither quick nor cheap) and we have supplies to make a shelf that will house both the BRB and the Jurassic Milk cages. Rather, the Jurassic milk will be on the floor, the shelf is built to go over that, and hold the BRB cage.

16. AZZ

AZZ Member

Have you finished it by now?
    I'm curious to see how it turned out!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Indeed, here it is!, and the shelf I had to build too. The BRB tank is on top. He has been living in it a week or so now.
    11.20.09_003.jpg

11.20.09_004.jpg

Attached Files: