This Disappears When Logged In

Yet Another Bite

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by Dragoness, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ok, our large female Boa is getting increasingly aggressive lately. She is almost 8 feet, and 22 pounds, and has always been a little temperamental. Went to get her out today, and she wanted no part of it. Most of her aggression tends to be cage related. Once she is out, she is generally fine.

So - changes in the future:

Larger cage (Upgrade from 4x2x2 to 8x3x3 in March)

Feed in her bin again (we used to - mostly fell out of habit because of laziness. Totally my fault.)

More frequent handling. Akasha is a very smart boa - I do not need her thinking that biting gets her off the hook for anything.

As always, I am sure she thinks she had a good reason to bite me, and I probably earned it. As I tell people, it is an occupational hazard.

Here are the pics. That was my first though for you guys after it happened.

Attached Files:

2. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Yikes- glad you're alright. How often do you handle her?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cripes Jenn! You were lucky!
    Thats awfully close to the eye! That would be bad! Very Bad!

4. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

oh my:eek:...yes, you are VERY fortunate with it being that close to the eye....honestly makes me wince just looking at the photos and thinking about what could have been.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh my, that came so close to your eye! Thank God it didn't get your eye, I'm thinking safety glasses might save a snake owners eyes. Glad your ok Jenn, your very lucky for sure.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm thinking safety glasses would be a worthwhile investment, as Akasha has a tendency to aim for the face. So far, this is the first connection she has made (With any luck, it will be the only!).

Akasha is handled regularly, usually multiple times a week (we aim for 3+ at minimum.). Her feeding schedule is 14 days, and was just increased, so I know it is not food related.

We (I) try to handle at least 2-3 of my snakes each day.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeesh! Well I'm sure she is very proud of herself for such a lovely bite! Glad you're ok, this could have been much worse!

*silently prepares self for just in case my boa gets to be bitey one day*

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

We got her out again later that night, and she was fine. She has never been one for hissing - just bites, pretty much without warning. We locked the cats in the room, and had her out for half an hour, and she was her normal curious self.

In general, any time one of my snakes bites without good reason (such as impending shed, just ate, etc), we kick up the handling, starting the same day (sometimes the same session just keeps going, rather than putting them back). I do not want to condition any of my snakes to believe that biting a person gets them out of handling. Especially a big and intelligent girl like Akasha.

9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Oh my goodness!!! Ouch! Glad your okay. Funny how these guys just surprise us like this. Good luck keeping things calmer!!

10. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

Wow. Glad you're okay!
    I feel that the saftey glasses idea would definately not be a bad decision to make. Haha. We don't need you posting pictures of her attacted to your eyeball :p

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I actually have some safety glasses that I bought when my stick insects got old enough to spray (they supposedly aim for the face/eyes, but mine only ever sprayed the tongs I used to change their food). Never used them with the sticks though, as they didn't ever spray me. I might just start using them with Ms. Temper here soon. She will usually at least act a little... off (tracking your hand, looking like she is going to bite, very well-defined S curve, tongue flicking a LOT, that type of thing) but last night, it was out of the blue.

12. SRT80

SRT80 Well-Known Member

Ouch! I have only been bittin once by just a 4.5 ft boa. It was on the hand, between finger and thumb area. It wasn't a great pain, but didn't feel good. I can't imagine what it would feel like on the face from such a large boa. Like everyone else, glad you are ok and it didn't do any major damage.

Steve

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am just glad everyone is okay! :)

14. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

WOW! Very glad you are okay! Sheesh - that one had to hurt.

I'm also glad you handle it so well, I guess it does come with the 'job' - but not everyone could or would be so 'professional' about something like that!

15. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

wow!!! im sure that hurts, but like on a scale of 1-10 .....10 being it hurts so bad your afraid to ever touch it again, what is it....
    im thinking of getting a bigger snake, and i just want to know what i will be in for in case i get bit

16. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Holy cow Jen! That one has to win some sort of prize! (Thanks for sharing the pics!) :)
    If I had your snake in my house, I think I'd put on my fencing mask before opening its cage -- heck I'd probably put on the whole body armor and gloves too!!
    Safety glasses minimum! I would also recommend investing in a LONG heavy duty snake-hook to get her out of the enclosure!!

17. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Yeesh. Glad she missed your eye and that you're okay.

Is there any activity that tends to make her more nippy than others? For example, the only times my gopher snake will be aggressive is if I wake him up after lights out or if I handle him, let him get situated in a hide and then pick him up again.

18. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I do the same thing when my baby wants to be aggressive. Let them know whose boss and a bite aint bite ain't goin to scare you....

19. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Active Member

ouchh! :/

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And THATS a sure fire recipe to get you bitten again! The only thing a snake understands about you getting rough with it, is that you are NOT to be trusted!