This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Belly Slider Turtles Mating?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by charlene07, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlene07

charlene07 Member

My biggest turtle has been crawling on top of my second biggest one and shaking his hands at the other turtles head also stretching his own head out really far so that is will be close to the bottom turtles. Could this be a mating thing?

2. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

The shaking is called fluttering and is a sign of aggression. Have you sexed your turtles yet? What size are they and how big is their enclosure?

3. charlene07

charlene07 Member

The bigger one is three years old and five inches, the younger one is two and a half years old and 3-inches
    The older one is a male and the younger one is a female.
    The reason I ask if it is a mating sign, because someone told me that it was but I wasn't sure.
    They are in a 20-gallon tank.
    (I can't afford to spend a huge amount for anything bigger right now)

4. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

I can say with some certainty that it's aggression. Your turtles should be in a 65-80 gallon tank. If you can't afford an aquarium, that's okay. Rubber maid tubs, metal stock tanks (found at farm stores) are big enough and really cheap. You can get a 100 gallon stock tank for like $50 and that will house both of them. Or you can get a big rubber maid tub for the larger turtle. They cost like $15-$20. If you don't increase their housing size soon, the fluttering can turn into biting which can be lethal.

5. charlene07

charlene07 Member

ok thanks, yeah i was thinking about getting one of those stock tanks.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A friend of mine got a plastic stock tank for $65 at the local farm store. Holds 110 gallons, although they have it only 2/3 full with some land, but their turtles are very happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.