This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Bellied Slider

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MyImmortalWolf, Aug 17, 2016.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

Thought I'd give y'all an update on Shark, seeing as I still have him! I'm estimating he was about 3-4 weeks old when I got him, so his birthday would have been early August- he's now a little over a year old and growing rapidly. It's like having a teenage boy- he eats and eats and eats. What size should a YBS his age be? He's about 2-3 inches long, carapace length, and is very active and happy, as far as I can tell. He's gotten so big compared to when I first got him!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Glad to hear he's doing well. If I remember correctly, this was one of the ones that had a rough start, wasn't it? Sounds like he's right about where he should be considering. I've had some that just took off great, and some that seem to want to take forever to get any size. Case in point, I have several red ears that were all purchased at the same time, and have similar hatch dates. One I call Bertha, since she is about 2yrs old and 7 or so inches. Have a couple others from the same group not far behind her. Then I have 2 that are little more than 3". Again, same age, conditions and feeding schedules.

3. MyImmortalWolf

Yes, he was the clothing store turtle... I'm still mad about that. At what point should I cut him off, food-wise? Most days he won't stop eating until I stop feeding him and I'm not sure how his little turtle belly can hold all of it.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi, I was crazy busy the last few days. With mine I just sort of feel them out, and it's not the same everyday. To get an idea, go ahead and feed until he starts to lose interest, and try to keep track of how much that is. Mine often get fed 2-3 times a day, so they get smaller amounts at a time, but they probably get more overall than they would getting fed just once. Either way, feed a bit less than required to get him full, they will overeat given the chance.

5. MyImmortalWolf

Sounds good! I got some bloodworms and brine shrimp and "aquatic turtle diet" at PetSmart today, so we'll see how feeding him that goes!
    Thank you for all the help Darkbird. :)

Darkbird likes this.
  6. MyImmortalWolf

I'm considering getting him a waterland turtle tub and was wondering if the medium would be adequate, even when (s)he's all grown up and big.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I can't really remember the sizes on those, so I'll have to go look it up. I know the largest is massive, and I like the overall design. I'm thinking the medium will be adequate to borderline small for an adult male, but I might wait till you give me a link or just the dimensions to say for sure. Unless I get a spare second, been busy as anything lately.

8. MyImmortalWolf

Medium Water Enclosure
    Dimensions - 76"L x 35"W x 24"H
    Water Depth: 11"
    Volume: 65 Gallons
    3/4 Water, 1/4 Land
    Weight: 65 lbs.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, see, that was bigger than I was thinking. That should be great as a permanent home for him.

10. MyImmortalWolf

Cooll, thank you! He's close to outgrowing his 40gal and I wanted to move him into something really nice that he can comfortably live in forever. Any advice on filters/setting it up?

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Nope, I actually have to figure something out for mine in their 300gal stock tank, so I was actually interested in what you had in mind, lol. You might be OK with some type of canister filter. Just look for something with sponge type elements so that they can be cleaned out and reused. I'm probably either going to go with several canister filters or maybe put together something custom.

12. MyImmortalWolf

I currently have a canister filter that works quite nicely for my 40gal. For the tub I was considering a Fluval U4 because I've heard they work quite well (with 1-2 canister filters as well if need be), or a Pondmaster 190/something similar.

13. MyImmortalWolf

Would you mind me asking a ton of questions about set up and potentially live planting?

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I never mind someone asking questions, but I don't always have all the answers. As far as plants go, never attempted anything like that with turtles so maybe someone else can help there. They will nibble on plants though from what I've seen. And ill just give you a quick run down of how I normally set up my indoor tubs. I usually have bare bottomed setups, with raised basking areas made by piling up bricks, pavers, and whatever, and capping it with a piece of natural slate tile. Usually 2, one flat and one angled up to it and supported so the little buggers won't be able to shift it. With this big stock tank I'll probably run 2 four foot LED stoplights for ambient light, and one or maybe 2 MVBs for the basking and UV. My house is kept fairly warm in the winter, such that heating the water isn't needed. I don't mind keeping them on the cooler side in the winter anyway, it slows their metabolism some and makes the job of keeping the tub clean a bit easier. Normally I run a good sized internal filter and change the water every week or so, but like I said I have to figure out something different due to this being 3x the size of the previous setup. I might do a thread on it when I actually get everything set up. Going to have to be soon too, supposed to get down in the 40s here this weekend.