This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Bellied Slider

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MyImmortalWolf, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You'll need a submersible heater, and a way to keep the turtle off it. You might also be able to use a UTH on the bottom or side of the tank, thought you'd need a t-stat to control it. I know fluval used to make a small self contained filter that could be laid on its side in the tank, so if you could find something like that you'd be set.

2. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a picture of your set-up. : )

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Never seen either of those before, but I would go with the first one, since it has a sponge filter element. You will be cleaning it often, and the sponges last pretty much indefinitely. Both of the filters I use have sponge elements.

5. MyImmortalWolf

All right, thanks!

6. MyImmortalWolf

I got some Phoenix Worms into Shark along with his usual pellets, and he's taking really well to tong-feeding. I might even be able to get him to start taking veggies soon, we'll see.

Darkbird likes this.
  7. GitaBooks

Thanks for the up-date. I'm glad he's doing well.

8. MyImmortalWolf

^.^ He's such a messy little guy though! My dad has a suction pump I can use for changing the water though and I've started feeding him in the 10gal so hopefully that'll help.

9. MyImmortalWolf

Here's a picture of his new tank, before I put the other basking bulb in at the gravel end.
    o6zp7k.jpg

10. GitaBooks

It's awesome!
    Very clean and neat and yet also natural and fun looking.

11. MyImmortalWolf

Thanks! I tried to pick hides he'd like but would also fit in for a while. And I let my sister pick the plants, lol.

12. MyImmortalWolf

Oh, and we ripped out the desk that was between my two closets (It was a weird set-up) and my dad's talking about building me vivs there! ^.^ Or at least building me vivs that would fit in there. It's a big space but it'd be so much fun!

13. GitaBooks

Sounds like a great plan.
    All those empty spaces in a room need something to fill them, right? : )

14. MyImmortalWolf

15. MyImmortalWolf

I'd like to add some more variety to his diet- any suggestions for feeders? Right now he's getting turtle pellets, phoenix worms, and the occasional dried shrimp or two as a treat. He's a pretty little dude so there's not much small enough for him to eat. XD

16. GitaBooks

Tiny feeder fish, chopped earthworms, pin-head crickets, blood worms, daphnia, krill, mini mealworms or chopped mealworms, silkworms, and waxworms are all suggested treats for aquatic turtles. Once they get older they will enjoy more plant matter, but while growing they love meat.

17. MyImmortalWolf

Maybe I'll get him some waxworms as super special treats :p It has to be something I can grab with tongs though :/ I might try some of that "frozen turtle diet" that has shrimp and stuff in it.

18. MyImmortalWolf

Note to self: clean filter sponge daily :p

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Oh yeah, turtles are dirty little buggers and will foul water and filters quickly. That's the main reason I went to bare bottom setups.

20. MyImmortalWolf

The gravel's actually staying surprisingly clean- I just pump out the water and replace and voila- clean tank.