This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Bellied Slider

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MyImmortalWolf, Sep 27, 2015.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I came home from school today and Shark was basking for the first time since I've owned them!

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

Awesome! Sounds like he's settling in.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

That's good. Appetite should follow shortly, if it hasn't already.

4. MyImmortalWolf

They still haven't eaten and I'm starting to get really worried.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Double check your water temps, should probably be closer to 80 for these guys. And do you have them on a 12/12 light cycle? Just had the thought that they might be trying to start to brumate, mine were slowing down a bit until I got them moved inside. Other than that I'm out of ideas. I hope it's not the case, but it is possible that the damage was already done before you got them, and there might not be anything anyone can do.

6. MyImmortalWolf

THEY ATE
    IT'S FOR SURE THIS TIME!
    I left 3 pellets in the water this morning, and when I came home, 2 were gone, with some detrius at the bottom of the tank and the other was stuck to their hide. Oh goodness, this is a huge relief.
    It't closer to 13/11, but yes. Lights for everyone come on at 9am ish and go off around 10pm

7. GitaBooks

I'm so glad! : )

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Good to hear. Really young ones sometimes take a while to recognize pellets as food, but you should be good to go now.

9. MyImmortalWolf

Thank you so much, to everyone who gave me advice.

They're chowing down now- going through probably 5-10 pellets a day.
    Would it be okay to start holding them once in a while (once or twice a week for a few minutes) or do y'all think that would freak them out too much? Also, at what size should I increase the water depth?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
    TamJam likes this.
  10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Good to hear. I would hold off on holding them for a while yet. Just to give them a chance to build up their reserves again, in case the attempt puts them off their feed for a bit again.

11. GitaBooks

I'm no turtle expert at all, but I hear that handling aquatic turtles can stress them pretty badly. I haven't had experience with this though, and was wondering if anyone else knew otherwise?

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Depends a lot on the individual turtle, but most will tolerate a bit of handling once acclimated. They genara!ly shouldn't be carried around and held for extended periods though, and the same if true for most tortoises too.

13. MyImmortalWolf

Urghhh... I'm pretty sure Shark has softshell (his shell isn't curling, but it's excessively flexible by his hind end), and I have a sneaking suspicion he's had it since I got him. He has a UVB strip, a basking platform that's usually at 90ish so he can dry off, and I'm feeding him ReptoMin turtle sticks which do have calcium in them (I checked). Is there anything else I can do aside from taking him to the vet?

14. GitaBooks

Now that reptile vets are becoming more common, it is probably your best choice. It certainly helps to make sure he has a UVB bulb that is new (older ones don't produce as much UVB), calcium and vitamin D. Also, make sure he is getting other essential nutrients, protein, fat, other vitamins and minerals.
    The warm basking spot is great, since sick reptiles need warmth to help them heal. Make sure the water is clean and warm as well and that he can also escape from the heat and hide to feel safe, so that stress does not make his immune system worsen.

I hope he gets better soon!

15. MyImmortalWolf

His UVB strip is less than 2 months old so that hopefully isn't a problem... I change the water weekly or as needed as well, and it's treated with a dechlorinator. His basking platform actually doubles as a hide and he spends most of his time under there.

My water's chilly because it's so cold in my room, but the heater I have is too big for his current tank and the water level. How can I warm it up? Just use a heater?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  16. GitaBooks

He sounds like he is getting good care. : ) I'm not sure about how to heat the water, but having too cool water is probably better than over-heating them, since your turtle can go under the basking light if need be.

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi, I wasn't on all weekend due to the holiday. As I remember, these guys were quite small, and hatchling are typically born with what we might consider a soft shell, but it will firm up as they grow. So my best guess is that this is what you're dealing with right now, either that or the side effects of the improper care they had before. A vet visit probably wouldn't hurt, but I suspect that what's really needed is time for the improved conditions to allow it to make up for the deficiency's on its own. Something you might try is to get hold of some Phoenix worms, they are high in calcium. This might also be a good chance to interact, as they could be tong fed, allowing you to interact with them, and to target feed the one that needs it the worst.
    As for the heating, either a submersible heater with a cage would work, or maybe an extra under tank heating pad with a thermostat if you have one available. Should allow you to keep the water temp up without causing issues as long as you have it on a t-stat.

18. MyImmortalWolf

So I found a 40-gallon that I totally forgot I owned and I have some aquarium gravel and I'm debating moving Shark into the 40. He's grown some, not a ton, but some, though he still has softshell, frustratingly. :/ I think I'm going to try and get one of the Reptisun tubes and see if that makes any difference. He's eating really well though, so I'm very happy about that, but still won't take live feeders.

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Only downside I could possibly see to that might be that the 40 will be harder to clean. I'd skip the gravel, it'll just hold more waste and make maintenance more difficult.

20. MyImmortalWolf

I went with the gravel because he tends to spend most of his time in the water anyways, but I was wondering how/if I can set up a filter and tank heater. The water's not deep enough to fully submerge either.