This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Bellied Slider

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MyImmortalWolf, Sep 27, 2015.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

So I rescued a baby YBS from a clothing store that was doing a "buy a container get a turtle" kind of deal, and I have a few questions. How deep should I make their swimming area? And in the US, isn't it illegal to sell turtles that are less than 4 inches from their nose to the tip of their tail? I'm going to borrow my beardie's CHE and I have a spare UVB bulb for now, but I'm going to go out tomorrow and pick up the rest of the stuff I need. Is this a good list?
    - Small mealworms
    - Basking light (100w probably)
    - Gravel/pebbles to create a basking area
    - Filter
    - 20long or tank larger than the spare 10gal I'm using for today
    - Turtle pellets
    -Declor drops
    I have calcium supplements, rocks, ect. already from my other reptiles. Do turtles need D3?

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

I'll start by saying I'm no expert, but I hope this helps. : )

That is very nice that you helped the turtle. So many people think of them as toys and not pets, especially all those stores that sell them.

It is illegal to sell turtles under 4 inches in length unless its for educational purposes, but everyone does it anyways and I've never seen anyone stop them. Its not really my place to say what is wrong and what is right in this case. As long as children don't handle the turtles they are not a salmonella risk, which is the reason for the rule.

A large tank with plenty of hiding places leads to a calmer, healthier turtle all and all. Your list looks good to me. : )

Best of luck!

3. MyImmortalWolf

USDA's been doing more lately, so I'm going to contact them and USARK for sure, and see if I can maybe get something done. There's probably 25 baby turtles crammed into a 10gal and they can't all get out of the water. :/

4. GitaBooks

I know, its pretty bad. : (

I hope you can help those turtles out.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The law is no turtle under 4 inches in shell length can be sold except for educational purposes. The problem is "educational purposes" is pretty vague.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi. For the setup, I would skip the gravel and just set up some stones so it can get out and bask, a small piece of flat slate works well for this. Water depth should be about as deep as it can reach with it's back legs still touching the bottom, so it doesn't have to swim to breath. Water temp 75-80°, basking around 90, and if your not providing uv then yes it'll need D3 supplements.
    As for the size issue, I have never heard of that dumb law being enforced, and really the only thing it does is to cut down on the stupid stuff like what you encountered where they are basically being sold as throwaways. Surprised you ran into this situation, actually.

7. MyImmortalWolf

I have two slate pieces in their (truth be told, rather pathetic right now) enclosure and the water is deep enough for them to fully submerge. One piece of the slate is a cm or two under the water and the other piece, directly beside it, is above water. They don't seem to have any trouble getting in and out and I was going to go with gravel so I could create a raised, dry area for basking and eating. If you think just slate pieces would be better though, I can probably work with that.

They won't eat. I've tried greens and turtle pellets and tomorrow I'm going to go and get some small feeders.

They're also just hanging out in one corner of their tank constantly. It's a little worrying.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi again. I suggested skipping the gravel to make cleaning easier. You could take the slate and angle the pieces so that they make a ramp and platform, or just a long ramp that gets them out of the water. Just so long as they can bask and get dry when they want. You could pile a few stones or pieces of brick or paving stone, and have the slate on top. As for them not eating, don't worry too much, they are probably still stressed from their ordeal. A few dollar store plants tossed in, or some regular aquarium plants might be a good idea, as it will give them a place to hide and feel safe. You may have to leave the room for a while so they can tell safe enough to eat, it they'll figure out quickly that your the food source, so once they settle they should start mowing through anything you give them.

9. MyImmortalWolf

I'm just not sure how long it's been since they've last eaten and I don't want them to starve. I actually got them a little hide/basking surface combo thing at walmart and they're hanging out in there now. So I should just give them a few more days before I get really worried? How often should I change the water? It's not deep enough for me to set up a filter currently. Also, good submersible thermometers?

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

How big are they? Even hatchlings can go a couple weeks without food so far as I know, though it's not ideal of course. Can't recommend a specific thermometer, I usually use my temp gun held at an angle, or o modify a digital with a probe by coating the probe with liquid electrical tape to make it waterproof. The ones sold for aquarium use tend to be just as bad on accuracy as the analog reptile ones. A digital meant for aquarium use might be a good option too, but I haven't tried any. And just change the water whenever it looks dirty or discolored, and change it all. No need for partials like with fish. Just make sure it dechlorinated.

11. MyImmortalWolf

They're probably 2 inches, if that....
    Right now I'm using jugs of water that are already turtle-safe, just topping up as needed because my room tends to be warm.
    And I actually got an infrared thermometer made for reptiles (FINALLY)
    I need to get a dimmer for my leo and a smaller basking bulb for my beardie!
    I finally got a hood and tropical strip UVB as well for the turtle. I'm sorry, this is my first-ever turtle and I'm just a little over-concerned.

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

No problem, and feel free to keep asking questions. I certainly don't know everything, but I try to help where I can.

13. MyImmortalWolf

They still haven't eaten anything...

14. GitaBooks

Can you post a picture of the set-up? Maybe covering part of the cage or adding some plastic plants would make them feel more secure (it certainly helps my snake), which might help them begin eating. Live insects might also entice them to eat, something like a cricket.

I hope they start eating soon.

15. MyImmortalWolf

YAY. I'm pretty sure Shark ate two turtle pellets. It's a start.

16. MyImmortalWolf

Never mind... they got stuck to the edge of the tank...

17. MyImmortalWolf

Temps are about 89-95 in the basking spot right now, they do have UVB, and water temps are 75-80, if that helps. They're in a 10 gallon (I'm looking for a 20 right now, but a 10gal was the only watertight tank I had on hand) with a basking platform/hidey space combo type of thing and a piece or two of slate.

18. GitaBooks

Sounds like a good enclosure to start with, at least compared to what they were kept in before. Are they in an area with a lot of traffic (like people or other pets walking by a lot)?

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It can take them a while to recognize a new food source, and since you probably have no clue what they were being fed before (which isn't your fault), it may take a while for them to get it. Also, not sure how long your leaving the food, but it would be best to leave it for a good long while. The pellets should be sunk to the bottom for a while before removal, and it may be a good to just leave them overnight, even if it fouls the water a bit. Some fresh greens will last a couple days or so floating in there, and may be more tempting to start with.

20. MyImmortalWolf

They were being fed brown turtle pellets.
    But yeah... they're just sitting in their hide. I go by frequently to get mealworms/feed Thorn/what have you, but for the most part, I try to leave them alone.