This Disappears When Logged In

Yellow Anaconda Question!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Flint, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Hey everyone,

Long story short, I have a $75 store credit with LLLReptile that I plan to use at the LA Pet Fair, which will include the Reptile Super Show.

I also have an empty, non-furnished, 4'W-2'D-2.5'H wooden enclosure I plan on filling at said event. If I get a baby of whatever snake species, I have a 20gal tank ready to go with light and thermostat as a starting tank.

Initially I was considering a carpet python. Chances are I may still go that route. However if possible I would much prefer to go with a yellow anaconda. I am absolutely in love with the 'conda face structure and pattern. I also want to try a heavy-bodied snake, seeing as my other snake is a slender rainbow boa. Now don't get me wrong, I love the look of carpet pythons too, but this next snake will most likely be the last herp I purchase for several years while I'm in college. As such I'd like to get what I really want.

So here's my main question, can a proven MALE yellow anaconda live comfortably and healthily it's entire life in a 4'W-2'D-2.5'H enclosure? I say male because I have read that males stay considerably smaller than females, roughly 6-8 feet. This size is what leads me to believe the cage I have will be sufficient.

I need to start planning for this now seeing as a yellow anaconda cage will be set-up quite differently from a carpet python. Naturally if the yellow anaconda would be an unwise choice for this cage, I will stick with the carpet python. The herp ALWAYS comes first.

Thanks for reading!

2. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

First, that cage would be sufficient for a while, but an adult male will still be a fairly large snake and being a fairly heavy snake will need more room than that. So no, I would not do it for that reason. Also, it does not sound like you have quite enough experience with snakes to be looking at a conda. They are beautiful, but they also are known for a nasty temperament. The yellows can be better than the greens, but I would never recommend them to someone who hasn't dealt with the big guys before. Just being blatantly honest here, but if you didn't know that males are smaller than females, you aren't ready for an anaconda. If you want something more heavy bodied, go with a boa. They are some of the most awesome snakes to work with because they have some size and they also have excellent temperaments. Please do not get an anaconda just for their looks. I can tell you right now that you are not ready and most likely you will only be disappointed because you WILL take some bites and it very well may not ever get much better no matter how long you have it. Rack up a bunch of years of experience before trying those guys. Find a herp society and you may find someone that has anacondas and will let you be around them a bit. A BRB is a great snake but it does not prepare you for a yellow.

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Thank you for being honest. You are absolutely right, I have close to 0 experience with snakes. All I know how to do so far is maintain a miniature rain-forest in a box. My rainbow was luckily never nippy or difficult in any way. I thought I would try a yellow conda as opposed to a red-tail since red-tails on average attain lengths too great for a 4x2x2.5 enclosure no matter the gender. If I could be sure that a red-tail would be able to remain in that size cage, I would go that route instead.

Regardless, it seems I will be unable to house either of those snakes. I'm starting to wish I went with a 6' wide enclosure from the outset lol.

So a JCP it is. Thank you for your reply, better I am shut-down than a helpless yellow anaconda be cramped in too-small a cage with no hopes of improving.

4. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

the cage you have is perfect for a jcp, i'm actually kinda jealous because my baby jcp is growin fast and ive been craving a bigger cage to decorate.

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

you know it's funny that cage was originally intended for a pair of yellow ackies lol. it has a 10" substrate block for burrowing room. but then I realized I would not be able to start a cockroach colony and I refuse to deal with crickets.

I'm really excited to deck it out for a JCP, I'm planning PVC pipes across the whole cage almost like a chondro cage, along with some arboreal and fosorial hides. should be fun :)

6. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

There are a lot of people that keep adult boas in a 4'x2' enclosure, especially a male. I see no problem with that except for the largest of them, 8' and up. It sounds like you are pretty excited for the JCP though, so I would stick with that. Don't worry about putting a young snake in that cage yet though. Take a small rubbermaid and mount some branches in that for now. It will be good for holding humidity and will give the snake some security that is hard to have in a large enclosure. Normally I do not suggest this because the way I look at it, the wild is a much larger area than any enclosure. The reason I say this for you though is because a baby requires much different size perches than an adult so this will save you the trouble of mounting a bunch of different sizes in the large enclosure, and finding a small snake in an enclosure that much bigger can be a problem too. The perches need to be about the size of the snake itself so you will be changing them multiple times. Good luck with the new addition, whenever you get it. If you have any other questions, just ask. We all love to help people that are new at this.

7. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Thanks again for the input. I already have a 20 gal tank ready for a smaller snake, and that will be sitting inside the unfinished larger enclosure. It's handy that the larger enclosure has the 10' substrate block in front, so the 20gal will be about 90% hidden from view on all sides.

I've certainly done my homework on countless snakes and lizards I've contemplated for this cage. Only thing I hadn't found a solid answer for was an appropriate size for a male Yellow. The care sheets gave one average size for males and females. Well, I'm sure that will still happen sometime down the road lol.

8. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

A minimum size for a male yellow would be 6'x2'. Anything that gets over 12' then gets at least an 8'x3' and I do 8'x4' for female retics and burms. I don't follow any of those rules out there that have a ratio for the size of the enclosures, because there are exceptions to every rule. Retics are not as bulky as condas and burms so a lot of people keep them in a smaller enclosure than they would with the really heavy bodied snakes. My rule is "as big as possible". There are certainly minimums that should be followed but to go just by the minimums is really doing a disservice to the animals. I build to what fits in my house and then put something in it that would thrive in that size of an enclosure. The only place I wish I could go bigger is with my female retics and burms because you could easily designate an entire room to one animal, but that just is not practical so they get 8'x4's. A boa really would be fine in your enclosure if that is what you are wanting to get.

9. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

If you are looking for a heavier snake, but don't have a huge cage I would say check out a Dumeril's Boa. I love my guy and they are just chill. They usually max out at around 6' and weigh like 20 pounds. Just giving you something else to think about based on the reasons for liking the anaconda.

10. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

I have a dumerils as well and they are great. Mine was fairly nippy when she was real young but has turned out to be great snake. They are getting more popular but still are a snake that not everyone has. Also, they can be kept in a 4'x2' with no problem. She is one of my favorite snakes to feed too because dumerils are ambush predators so she buries herself in her substrate with just the top of her head poking out. I just dangle a rat in front of her for a split second and she just explodes out of there. Pretty cool.

11. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Are you could find you a hogg island boa they tend to stay on the smaller side from what i read and pics i have seen.

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Most things I have read is the snake should not be more than 2x the length of the enclosure. Ideally the length of the snake should be at maximum the length of the cage plus the width of the cage. But yes obviously the girth of the snake would come to play in those calculations as well.

I had initially strayed from Red-Tails as 12' specimens are not unheard of, and I didn't want to pick up a baby with the genes to become a giant and end-up with a cramped snake. I have however done some research on the island locale boas. Those sound like a terrific option as well.

I believe what I will do is keep construction on the larger enclosure as general as possible. I'll put in the radiant heat panel, helix thermostat, vents, thermometers, hygrometers, doors, and leave it at that. Then come the August expo, I will decide based on what is available, and only pick up what I am prepared for. As I said in the beginning, I have a $75 credit with LLLReptile, and they have a very good selection but they won't have everything.

Thanks again everyone, you're putting me on the fence between an island locale boa and a jungle carpet lol :confused:

13. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

I have them both and they are both great choices