This Disappears When Logged In

Yearlings Copulating?!?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Hybrid, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Is it possible for yearling Turbo corns to mate? I put my yearling turbo corns together for a little while and picked up the female but there tails were locked together and it looked like they were mating! Also I think they might the male is actually a female and vice versa. It seemed like the female had hemipenes. I had no intentions to get them to breed until 3 years of age. Does being a hybrid possibly make them want to breed sooner? Is it possible to be sexually mature at 1? Could this harm the male/female?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Males will try to breed as early as a year or even before. Females can reach sexual maturity earlier too, but it is not suggested that people breed them until they reach a good weight size--and usually they won't let the male mate if they try if they are too small/don't want to.

It could have just been the male trying to put the moves on her, might not have been a full lock. I still wouldn't put them back together until they are both at a good breeding weight and you are ready for eggs!

Keep an eye on the female but I doubt she's gravid even if they did lock--She hasn't been prepped for breeding with cooling down and all that, so her body probably isn't receptive to it right now. She could hold onto the sperm, but sometimes the girls just don't 'take' and it's like nothing ever happened. Keep an eye out for changes in her behavior though, just in case!

Mating itself wouldn't cause much harm, but becoming gravid could very much hurt the small female if she isn't up to weight--no matter what age she's at, it's the size that matters

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Great reply Kat! :)
    Ditto what she said!

4. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. Just to let you know, she is 32 inches long and has only had one meal under my care. I needed to put them together, I don't remember the reason. They will be kept apart form now on.

Is it safe for the male to breed at this size(also 32 inches) and age? Could he fertilize a mature female? This is just hypothetical.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

He probably could, but the fertility rate might be higher if he were older and a bit bigger. (I don't know if there is any statistical data on that.)
    Breeding should be well-planned in advance. They do better if they are "cycled" before they are introduced.
    Females should have a good weight because the egg-development takes a lot of nutritional resources from her body.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What Kat and Andrea said make sense!

If the female did end up gravid, would she be more likely to become egg bound??

7. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Thank you. IF I were to breed the male it would be next year. That is, if it would be safe for both the male and his possible mate, maybe an adult female honduran milk.

I have done research on breeding colubrids. I will continue to do research on breeding and incubation. I have pretty much all the supplies to do it. I just need some vermiculite or maybe sphagnum moss(I read it is a good incubating substrate because of anti-fungal properties and allows air flow) and a digital thermometer with a probe.