This Disappears When Logged In

Yearling JCP Won't Eat?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Kimber13, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Kimber13

Kimber13 Member

Hey there,
    So my JCP (Emily) last meal was a rat weanling on the second of September. It's been bothering me more lately cause my small irian jaya can take rat fuzz like a pro usually weekly, he's still very small so sometimes he might skip a meal. Also my BP is a monster and takes every meal I give to him. I watch temps and make sure they have fresh water, I also made sure humidity and everything was good. I haven't noticed any poop tho? I'm scared she may be blocked up somewhere maybe? Not sure never dealt with a blocked snake. She will strike and hiss, she wrapped it than didn't even seem phased. Tomorrow I'll check for poop and what not and make sure everything is right in her enclosure. Few days ago I went to check on her and she was in shed, eyes all blue and hazy. Looked and didn't notice any shed but she didn't have the blue eyes. Should I wait til she sheds her skin than feed in a week and maybe try a rat pup instead of a wean? I'm pretty stumped. Getting a scale to monitor her weight and make sure she's at least normal weight for her age and length.

Thanks for any advice.

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Most likely won't eat until after the shed, I had a red tail boa (many years ago) that wouldn't eat until after the old skin was off even though it was her usual feeding time.

3. Kimber13

Kimber13 Member

Well went in to change water and mist her enclosure and at least i know she's not blocked up. Spot cleaned a few places and left her alone. Will wait til the old skin comes off. I thought it would be sooner after they turn the hazy blue color? It's been almost a week and it still hasn't came off.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Carpets can trip you up with that when you're not used to it. A lot of times the blue fades out for several days before they actually shed. For whatever reason my experience with carpets is that it seems like their shed cycles take a long time to finish compared to the other snakes in my collection. She should shed within the next couple of days.

A couple of weeks without food won't make a bit of difference in the long term. I'd wait until after the shed and try and see what happens. If she still refuses then you might have to try something different.

The only time any of my carpets have ever refused food was during a mite infestation, they always take anything they can get all the time.