This Disappears When Logged In

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by jakester, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jakester

jakester Well-Known Member

I told her I am going to start breeding dubias. She said " Sure Jake". He,he,he! Now I just have to wait for the next expo!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That worked great! Calling them Dubias isn't lying, it just using a formal name!;)

3. jakester

Exactly!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow. then you can get Discoids, Turks, Hissers, Lobsters, and lots of other good feeders!

5. jakester

lol right^(=. Anyway let me get this straight, I buy some from the next expo, and keep the temp and humidity up and they will lay eggs? Also I don't have to switch the babies out into there own cage do I? Also how many dubias should I start off with? Thanks

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've heard that it good to start with at least 300 and will take about 3 months to get the colony going to the point that you can start using as a feeder.
    Here's the sites caresheet
    Breeding Blaptica Dubia

7. jakester

Oh what is the scientific name for these? Lol sorry for the dumb question but I am getting confused lol. thanks

8. jakester

Thanks Mld you just anwserd my second question while I was typing! thanks

9. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

also, keep in kind the Dubia don't lay eggs...they give live birth...each Adult female will give birth about once a month to about 30 or so at a time.....I started my colony with only about 10 adult females, and 3 male Dubias...I also ordered about 100 or so mixed nymphs....I fed off the mixed nymphs and just let the adults breed and produce more..considering it is the winter months a lot of the breeders will only sell limited quantities of the adult females, so until your colony really gets going make sure you still have a supply of other feeders....(once the summer months get here, the breeding really picks up.....and you will be SOOOO glad that you started your own colony...Dubia are WONDERFUL feeders!!!!!!!)

10. jakester

Thank you.(=