This Disappears When Logged In

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by jakester, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jakester

jakester Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning tired and half asleep. That is until I checked on the cricket eggs!:D I saw three baby crickets crawling around, sooo I grabbed a container and set it up for more hatchlings! So now for me the wait is on.>:) wish me luck!!!!

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Congratulations! Sounds as though you will soon be off and running.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What size do you need for feeding?
    You'll need to provide some heat for the hatchlings or they will take forever to grow.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It's just amazing how small they are! I had almost given up the first time I tried! I was getting ready to throw it out and then I saw something move, I got my magnifying glass out and took a closer look and then I saw pinheads. I was so excited, as days went by there were more and more, little eating machines. I was so excited not to have to order any more online for my baby geckos.
    Congratulations, It's a great feeling when something actually works out the way you wanted it to.

5. jakester

Mld I thought the same things! Also Kriminaal I need adults for my bearded dragon since he eats like a cow! I also do have a heat source for them.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Go for roaches instead. Seriously.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree, roaches are sooooooo much easier to raise.
    I got to the pinhead stage of crickets and that's about it.
    Dubias are a dream for producing and very very little smell.

8. schlegelbagel

no smell, no noise, no jumping, no climbing, no separating out the babies from the adults, and you only have to clean out the container once every 4 months or so. Just keep them fed, warm and humid and they do the rest.

9. jakester

I would but my mom HATES them.:(((

10. schlegelbagel

well, there's that. Maybe she'll hate crickets some day for all the reasons we do.

11. jakester

Ha, she most likely will.lol

12. mld

Roaches Rule! Go for it! Bigger bang for the buck! Don't stink, don't chirp, live way longer! One they try roaches they won't go back to crickets!

13. jakester

Well I guess I could convince her somehow.>:) She thinks they will escape and will be every were.lol

14. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The roaches you'd be using need heat.. In a house with a comfortable room temp, they won't be able to breed and will just die on their own within a few days!

LOL CRICKETS are the escape artists! Ugh, I hate getting them... Every time we will find crickets around the room for weeks!

15. schlegelbagel

Print out the caresheet on here and give it to her. The ONLY place these guys will breed is in areas of Florida. They also can't climb glass/smooth plastic. I used to have escapees all the time with crickets. I never have them with the roaches, unless I drop one on accident, and even then they just die in a few days because I keep them in the basement.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many of the roaches available cannot climb a smooth surface (such as the glass or plastic walls of whatever you are keeping them in.).

I agree - roaches are far more desirable than crickets. Especially if you put some emphasis on all the BAD things about crickets.

Some members here refer to roaches as "Flat Rock Crickets". Maybe you could try that? lol.

17. schlegelbagel

Or just call them "Dubias" instead of roaches. ;)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Possible conversion tactic.
    Take 100 crickets.
    Put them in a box for a week.
    Open box and invite mother to smell them!:-&

19. mld

Good idea!
    They should make a scratch and sniff card, that would help a person make a decision! L'eau de cricket!

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Le Pew!
    LOL!