This Disappears When Logged In

YAY

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by fightingfeeders, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fightingfeeders

fightingfeeders Elite Member

OK...I'm really sorry for being so stubborn... I just hate making mistakes. And its really an unpleasant feeling when you spend well over 100 bucks on a project *sigh* and someone tells you differently. It gets so confusing who i should listen to and who to ignore you know??

ANYWAYS,

I am really short of money right now and I need ideas that I can use for waste items around the house like wood or rags, that kind of thing.

And I have been told that my typing is hard to understand...SORRY about that. I have a wireless keyboard attached to my laptop that is being REALLY stupid!!!

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

For right now go with paper towels. These work really well with "new" animals because you can keep an eye on bowel movements, and they are easy to clean. When you get a chance to save up a couple of bucks, get some slate tiles.

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Were all human here we all make mistakes. Yes I do not know of one person that likes to be told they are wrong. We live and learn that's all we can do.

As far as using items around the house for substrate, paper towel or computer paper, or newspaper work great.

4. fightingfeeders

What about plain old fashioned rocks that I find and clean really good?

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

You can add some large ones for her to climb on and over.

6. fightingfeeders

They would be more energy efficient anyways wouldn't they? What if I found a bunch of small ones and made a mosaic thingy out of them?

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptiles are cold blooded. If the temperatures you are offering are adequately meeting their needs, then one is not required. If you are not offering a proper heat gradient, something will need to be done to correct that. The use of an under tank heater may be required.

If you can't afford the expenses associated with supplying heat to an animal that absolutely requires it, you should not own that animal. This isn't meant to be harsh. Its a reality. Reptiles require a specific heat gradient in order to thermoregulate and digest their food. if you can't afford to provide that heat you need to find someone who can.

Petstore employees are trying to sell you things. If they tell you crushed walnut shells are horrid and can cause severe impaction and may result in the death of your reptile, would you buy it? How long has this person you met face to face been keeping leopard geckos? She may have had hers for 6 months on the stuff without an issue. She may have had one die from the stuff but she would never tell you that. The users on this site have nothing to gain by telling you a product is bad.

I currently own 26 leopard geckos right now and I breed them. Crushed walnut is horrid stuff and shouldn't be used with any reptile. (That is my formal stance.)

If I took a picture of a leopard gecko on repti-bark and then wrote an article saying that they live on bark in the wild, would that make it true? No, it would mean I took a picture of a leo on the stuff and referenced an inaccurate piece of information.

You have been on this site for less than 24 hours and have asked several questions. As I read your posts, I see you arguing with the answers people are giving you. Here is the simplest of solutions. Don't ask questions you don't want answers to. If you want to do it right, ask away. If you have all the answers already, go somewhere else and spew them to people who don't know any better. Please don't waste the users on this sites time by arguing with them. Many of us have owned reptiles longer than you have been alive. We have nothing to gain by telling you what you are doing wrong, regardless if a petstore employee told you otherwise.

8. fightingfeeders

Ok Rich. Like I said earlier on this page, I'm sorry for being so stubborn. I just spent a lot of money on what I have and I am trying to let people know that I THINK I know what im doing.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But that is the problem, you don't know what you are doing! You are making assumptions based on what you are being told by people who want to sell you stuff and creative packaging as opposed to listening to people who are experienced and really do know what they are doing. Don't feel bad. None of us knew what we were doing when we first got started. I personally admit to being the cause of the death of numerous reptiles when I first got started and we didn't have nearly as much information available back then.
    But I learned, and my animals survived and thrived.
    And so will you if you will listen. We want to help.

10. fightingfeeders

Ok, I am planning to go out later tonight and try to find some slate, the real soft stuff. I will get rid of the substrate, but I NEED to know what to do with it and how to effectively remove it. Oh, and I am planning to put more plywood on the one side. That really does not look good because I screwed up on it.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Do you have house plants? You can add it for drainage. Top the dirt on the plants with it and they will look nice. For now just take it out and figure out what to do with it. Scoop it with a spoon, or pick up the enclosure and shake it out. ANYTHING. The shells themselves didn't cost you $100, What are you losing? $10 at the most? I WISH I could have $10 back for every time I screwed up.

12. fightingfeeders

K... I actually used a broken up egg carton. It worked really well. a quick question, a few left-overs arent going to cause large problems are they??

and, I am going to be putting in a variety of different rocks to help conserve energy (create a better way of heating) and i need to know if putting a few handfulls between the cracks will be seriously problematic.

13. schlegelbagel

Can you suck out the leftovers with a vacuum?

14. fightingfeeders

My Mom might kill me with that vacuum. (not literally):)

15. schlegelbagel

Nah, It's just a vacuum. I can bet its sucked up worse things than walnut shells.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I always used the shop vac to remove particulates.
    I would definitely toss it all out so you aren't tempted to fill the cracks with it. ;)

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sometimes places that do landscaping have slate tiles and other flat rocks (shale, flagstone, paving stones, etc) for really really cheap, usually cents per pound. Clean the rocks with a little diluted bleach, and viola! You can stack up pieces to construct interesting caves for them to explore. I did some nifty rockscaping in a few of my tanks. Did my 40 gallon turtle tank for under $4.00. I know it isn't a leo, but I think it turned out nice.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but the water is about 6 inches deep, so the stones are piled 6 inches high to create the little basking spot, and a shady cave underneath. Just an idea. Slate is very versatile, you can do a lot with it.

Attached Files:

18. fightingfeeders

that is pretty cool looking... for the time being, I am using repti-carpet, and I am going to be covering the walls with cardboard. I have put a hide in there made out of rock. It serves as a "heating pad" too... looks pretty cool. I would like to put some more rock in... can you guys give me some suggestions for ways to make that look cool without jeapordizing the life of my friend AND without making the crickets impossible to find??

19. schlegelbagel

Just keeping it simple will make it easy for the crickets to be found.

Your rock "heating pad cave" is it a home made cave, regular store bought cave, or an electric heat rock cave?

20. fightingfeeders

The cave is a home-made one made with some rocks that I found... I cleaned them with a bleach-water solution. I will show you a picture here...

As you can see, it is merely a couple of rocks stacked on each other to make a cave and a heating pad thing on top.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.